Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 12:55 AM

The Highway Code: Rule change for motorways

From today (Monday 4 June 2018), you'll start to see learner drivers on motorways in England, Scotland and Wales.

Rule 253 of The Highway Code has been updated to make it clear that learner drivers can now drive on the motorway with an approved driving instructor in a car with dual controls.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...to-273#rule253

Rule 253

Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional motorcycle or car licences, riders of motorcycles under 50 cc, cyclists, horse riders, certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles, and powered wheelchairs/powered mobility scooters (see Rules 36 to 46 inclusive).

From 4 June 2018 provisional licence holders may drive on the motorway if they are accompanied by an approved driving instructor and are driving a car displaying red L plates (D plates in Wales), that’s fitted with dual controls.

Laws HA 1980 sects 16, 17 & sched 4, MT(E&W)R regs 3(d), 4 & 11, MT(E&W)(A)R, R(S)A sects 7, 8 & sched 3, RTRA sects 17(2) & (3), & MT(S)R reg 10
It's long overdue, but, in the meantime, parts of some motorways have become far too busy for learner drivers .....
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 07:40 AM

Re: The Highway Code: Rule change for motorways

A good thing I believe . I'm a townie driver and only twice a year use the m27 and I really don't like it . Luckily I'm only on it for 30 minutes , always glad when I reach my destination .
I took my driving test at 17 .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 08:41 AM

I too agree, in principle it's a good idea as learners need exposure to the differences between normal road driving and motorways. On the flip side we must hope that there are not so many that they begin to affect the flow of traffic.

The thing I would most like to see implemented is a ban on learner drivers in towns and cities during rush hour. There's plenty of other roadspace for instructers to take their students from 8:00am to 9:30am and from 4:30pm to 6:00pm.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:01 AM

I feel sorry for learner drivers venturing onto the motorways for the first time with the appaling standard of driving exhibited by many who have supposedly passed a test at some time.
The learner drivers may find they are in a minority obeying the highway code
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I feel sorry for learner drivers venturing onto the motorways for the first time with the appaling standard of driving exhibited by many who have supposedly passed a test at some time.
The learner drivers may find they are in a minority obeying the highway code
Very true.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Here in Northern Ireland it's even harder for learner drivers to get to grips with motorway driving

Admittedly our motorways are only two lanes - glorified duel carriage ways really

However going in to Belfast we have three motorways running parallel to each other, therefore 6 lines to negotiate across to get to where you need

What makes it so hard then is new drivers are governed to 45 mph for the first year

8 weeks after I took my test I had to go to the city airport to lift hubby and to say I nearly wet myself is an understatement

Imagine having to cross 5 lanes of traffic at 45mph when all around you are doing 60+

Mind it taught me well, two years later I drove London to Ayr and thought it was pretty easy
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 12:46 PM

I think driving in general is a complete nightmare. I know I would no longer attempt a long journey by car.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 05:58 PM

I am undecided on this. I can see that it is good to have some motorway experience but at the same time they would be learning to drive at high speed.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top