Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 06:15 AM

Windscreen Crack Repaired

My windscreen has a number of cracks where it has been hit by stones and rocks on outback roads. In the good old days, of course, this would not have happened because I would have had to replace the windscreen the same number of times as there are cracks. (there was a reason Highway One in North Queensland was nicknamed the Crystal Highway many years ago).

Anyway there were three pretty serious cracks from my previous trips and because of the number I decided it wasn't worth getting them repaired because the cost was getting close to the cost of a new windscreen and I am insured against such replacement.

This is a pretty poor shot of one of them but you get the idea.

Anyway I was in Supercheap Auto looking for some trailer parts when I came across a windscreen repair kit for $32 (£16). I didn't even realise such a thing existed.

Anyway I bought one and immediately went to work on my windscreen - the kit repairs up to 5 cracks. I must say I am pretty pleased with the result took a couple of hours to repair all three cracks but they look pretty good now.

BTW the cost for a windscreen repair bloke to come to your house and fix it starts at $105 (£53) for one - or at least that was the charge when I had one fixed in my last car a few years ago. Also I have since discovered that the same kit costs only US$10 in the USA but that is rip off Australia for you.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	180426 002 Windscreen Crack.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	6276  

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top