Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 12:44 AM

Re: Car Service

Now I am in the poo again.

I had phoned the chap in a garage I know and trust, to do my A/C, and then intended to cancel the Fiat garage doing it.
It turned out the garage I wanted doesn't do A/C. I never expected that, I just assumed all garages did it, but I was wrong it seems.

In the end, I left it as originally planned and let it be done at Fiat along with the service.

This afternoon I got a phone call and was told it sailed through it's service fine, but there was a problem with the A/C.

Apparently when they tried to top it up, the gas was escaping again, and they found the seals were knackered. They said this was illegal, something to do with polluting the atmosphere I think.
Apparently the seals can go brittle if it's not used regularly, which it's not, and I also have never had it checked since I bought it in 2014.

It seems replacement seals, plus the work involved, is expensive.

They have now quoted £235 for new seals, but if the pipe breaks as well (don't ask me what pipes), it will be around £358!!!

It's one thing after another sometimes, aint it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Apparently when they tried to top it up, the gas was escaping again, and they found the seals were knackered. They said this was illegal, something to do with polluting the atmosphere I think.
Apparently the seals can go brittle if it's not used regularly, which it's not, and I also have never had it checked since I bought it in 2014.
I did warn you A/C should be run at least once a month. In future just remember to turn it on when you reverse out of the garage perhaps.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I did warn you A/C should be run at least once a month. In future just remember to turn it on when you reverse out of the garage perhaps.

I know it's probably my fault Bruce I've never had a car with A/C before, and nobody ever explained to me how to run it properly, so I guess I only thought of using it in the summer, or when I have the dogs in the car and it's getting too warm for them.
I had no idea you had to run it in the winter as well.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 07:57 AM

I know it's probably my fault Bruce I've never had a car with A/C before, and nobody ever explained to me how to run it properly, so I guess I only thought of using it in the summer, or when I have the dogs in the car and it's getting too warm for them.
I had no idea you had to run it in the winter as well.
Ha ha... I run mine just about all year round, rarely turn it off.

To be honest I can't imagine why you need it in the UK, a heater would be more important I always thought - I can still remember when a heater was an optional extra in British cars.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-07-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Ha ha... I run mine just about all year round, rarely turn it off.

To be honest I can't imagine why you need it in the UK, a heater would be more important I always thought - I can still remember when a heater was an optional extra in British cars.

Fat lot of help that is Bruce!

I have been glad of it during this prolonged heatwave we're having, but wouldn't have dreamed of using it in the winter.

As I've already said, I didn't know you had to run it for a short time all year round. No one tells you these things when you buy the flippin' car!.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 03:01 PM

Hi

I think you are being ripped off, simple as.

My car is 7 years old later this year and the A/C, which I have not run for 2 years is fine.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-07-2018, 04:33 PM

Swim, first of all, how do you know yours is fine?
I ask because I thought mine was fine as well. Well it was working anyway, but how would you know if it the seals were damaged or it was leaking small amounts of gas?

When did you last have your gasses checked by a garage?

Apparently we are supposed to run them at least once a month, winter and summer, for 10 mins or so.

I also wonder if different makes of car makes a difference> Maybe it is a common fault with Fiat's, I don't know.
I know it is a known fault they have with back window squirters packing up, so maybe different makes are prone to different problems.

What make is your car?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 04:43 PM

Swim, first of all, how do you know yours is fine?
I ask because I thought mine was fine as well. Well it was working anyway, but how would you know if it the seals were damaged or it was leaking small amounts of gas?

Apparently we are supposed to run them at least once a month, winter and summer, for 10 mins or so.

I also wonder if different makes of car makes a difference> Maybe it is a common fault with Fiat's, I don't know.
I know it is a known fault they have with back window squirters packing up, so maybe different makes are prone to different problems.

What make is your car?
Hi

I have a Ford.

It is serviced every 6 months, come what may, even though I have not been driving for a while.

Neil does it, a member of my fishing team.

He is fully trained and has all the gear in the garage he works in.

My car is not serviced by a minimum wage oik.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-07-2018, 04:47 PM

Why a service every 6 months Swim, seems excessive? And even more so when you haven't even been using it much? Most cars only need a service annualy, and probably half of them don't even need it then?

Also, I understood from others here, plus the garages, that A/C is not checked on a service, it is a separate thing altogether.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 04:59 PM

but how would you know if it the seals were damaged or it was leaking small amounts of gas?

Gas? Wow, I didn't know about that. I know nothing about air con as I've never had a car with one.

I'd worry myself silly if I knew gas was around in the car.

Sorry you're having probs Mups.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top