Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:51 PM

Re: manual/automatic legality?

Four on the floor or three on the tree?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Here's a question that cropped up between a few of us in the pub the other day

In the UK you are only allowed to drive a car with a manual gearbox if you have passed your test on one
You can pass your test in an automatic gearbox car, but then you must continue to drive an automatic, unless you are re-tested on a manual

If a visitor to UK, notably Americans, has passed their test on an automatic in their own country, what are they allowed to drive in UK?

If they hire a car while on holiday can it be a manual, or must they ask for an automatic?
In NSW if you take the test in an automatic you are not allowed to drive a manual car until you are on your green P Plates (minimum of one year) but there is nothing on your licence that tells you what sort of car you have to drive. Other states might have different rules.

The problem with the UK is the dearth of automatics, in Australia is is virtually impossible to hire a manual car (why would anyone want to?) but when I visited the UK a few years ago nearly all the hire cars were manual. Absolutely absurd especially in your stop start traffic.

Actually I notice that since my brother visited Australia last year and he hired an auto car (of course they are the cheapest) he now has bought an auto car in the UK.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 01:00 PM

I have driven autos for many years, quite why anyone would drive a manual by choice I find quite baffling...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I have driven autos for many years, quite why anyone would drive a manual by choice I find quite baffling...
That type of logic is why Robots are in the driving seat.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:26 PM

Give a Robot a manual car, that ull keep um busy for a few years.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Well I'm a 'Robert' and I drive a manual.......Oh sorry, you said 'Robots' didn't you Spitty.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 10:11 PM

It's the opposite for me. I borrowed an automatic for a day once and hated it. I couldn't wait to get back to changing gear and clutch control. Strange how we are all different.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I carry no torch for the autonomous car idea, in fact I find the whole concept of driverless cars quite ridiculous. I do though think that on today's busy roads anything that can reduce the driver's workload has got to be a good thing for road safety, particularly when driving in traffic in towns. We all use labour saving devices whilst driving modern vehicles anyway, but to my mind automatic transmission is just about the best labour saving device you can put on a car.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 10:13 AM

Since 1993, Toyota has sold over 10 million Hybrid vehicles worldwide - all automatics - including mine.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top