Join for free
Page 4 of 28 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:26 PM

Re: Had enough of the UK

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yuk... shudders and crosses Spain off the list
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
.... unhappy brexiters on this thread.
we are unhappy with the present situation, once out of the EU hopefully it will change and our country will become better then perhaps we won't want to move away.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:41 PM

I am a happy Brexiteer and I think myself very lucky ending up in a little hamlet in the shires that has changed very little over the years and I can't imagine living anywhere else.
Other countries have more 'extremes' of climate and landscape but I like moderation and predictability.

We seem to have turned into a country of grumblers with no guts or spirit who can't see the many good things this country has to offer .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

12-08-2018, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am a happy Brexiteer and I think myself very lucky ending up in a little hamlet in the shires that has changed very little over the years and I can't imagine living anywhere else.
Other countries have more 'extremes' of climate and landscape but I like moderation and predictability.

We seem to have turned into a country of grumblers with no guts or spirit who can't see the many good things this country has to offer .
To be fair Meg I might not be a grumbler if I lived where you live, but, I can't afford to move there, the property here is very devalued
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:43 PM

The reasons I wish to leave have zero to do with Brexit.
I've had enough of our spineless PC Government and authorities.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
To be fair Meg I might not be a grumbler if I lived where you live, but, I can't afford to move there, the property here is very devalued
LQ if I had to live in cow shed I would, as long as I am in the countryside...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

12-08-2018, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
LQ if I had to live in cow shed I would, as long as I am in the countryside...
Stick one in your garden for me and I'm moving in haha
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Well,

We have decided that we won't be retiring in the UK.

We do not want to be in this country any more. It won't happen for a few years yet, but we are off!!
It is refreshing to read something from someone who doesn't just whinge but does something about it. Too much of the former and too little of the latter in forums.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 03:42 AM

There's absolutely nothing new about Brits becoming expats because they are discontent at home. Millions have done it in the last 50 odd years.

In my experience the happy successful ones love and respect their homeland.
I am a surprise expat. I had no intention of living outside the UK. At 19 I came to Australia for a 2 year, £10 holiday and at the end of that time I happily returned to the UK and would probably still be there had I not taken a few years travelling and working through the Middle East and Asia and calling into Australia before returning to the UK.

It didn't take too long after returning to realise that Australia offered so much more. I wasn't at all discontented with the UK - I have always been well paid - I just realised that somewhere else was even better.

Now, after over 50 years, the UK is no less foreign to me than Italy or Belgium other than I have relatives living there and I understand what the natives are saying. It is just another wonderful place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 05:06 AM

As a sort of involuntary expat, it's interesting reading the comments above. My father was a Royal Navy officer who moved us to New Zealand (after Bermuda, New York and Singapore) when he was on loan to the RNZN. When the 3 years were up his choice was to sign on for a further time or opt out. He chose the latter. He loved the country, the beaches, the Maori and the lifestyle so we stayed and I finished my education here. I've been back 3 times over the last 60 years and always enjoyed my visit but I soon realised he was right. When we arrived in 1953 NZ was a very English oriented society but with out the 'class' differences. After retiring and working in the local museum for 10 years I realised that the vast majority of early settlers in the 1850-1900 era were in service in England. They were butlers, gardeners, cooks and cleaners. Very practical people. In times of war they volunteered to help Britain in the Boer war, the WW1 and then WW2. They were good at it and put up "the sharp end" of some bad decisions like Gallipoli. They suffered casualties heavily but always supported and referred to England as "Home". I felt really bad when Britain joined the EEC and the commonwealth lost it's preferential access to British markets. Times were hard while new markets were established and of course, reciprocal trade deals went and we no loner saw new British cars on the road. Machinery started to come from Asia and the USA. By about 1990 we were happy again and reasonably prosperous. All a bit sad to me.

Page 4 of 28 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top