Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 01:04 AM

MOT diesel test not performed in NI for 12 years

Emissions tests on diesel cars have not been carried out during MOTs in Northern Ireland for 12 years, despite being legally required - Spotlight on BBC One Northern Ireland at 10:40pm on Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45643031

Both EU and Northern Ireland domestic law requires the government to do an emissions test on diesels at MOT using a machine called a smoke meter.

The tests were introduced at MOT in Northern Ireland in 2006 but were suspended 12 weeks later due to concerns about health and safety in the testing halls.

They have never been reintroduced.

The smoke meter test is routinely carried out in the rest of the UK where MOTs are done in private garages rather than state-run centres.

The Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) said its staff do a "visual test" and make a "personal judgement" about emissions.

It means there are potentially tens of thousands of diesel cars with illegal emissions on the road in Northern Ireland.
According to Professor Robert Lee of Birmingham University, failure to do the test means the government in Northern Ireland is breaking the law.

He said it may now face legal action in Belfast and Brussels.

SDLP MLA John Dallat said the failure to do the tests was a "scandal" which required a "thorough inquiry". He added: "I'm sure there are very few people watching this programme that haven't seen cars emitting huge volumes of black smoke and wondering how on earth those things are on the road.

"Now we know. If those tests were there, those cars would be gone."
How come, with all that black smoke, nobody "noticed" that the law was being broken by the government for 12 years .....
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 01:07 AM

Re: MOT diesel test not performed in NI for 12 years

I know, its a total joke the amount of cars on our roads blowing out thick clouds of black exhaust

None of diesel cars we have have ever been old enough to need an MOT so I never noticed it wasn't done and wondered how cars were getting passed when they clearly shouldn't have been
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 02:02 PM

Re: MOT diesel test not performed in NI for 12 years

The whole thing is a joke and a con. My old diesel Peugeot once failed it's emission test despite some tweaking and driving the car round the block at high revs. I took it to another garage and it passed.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top