Join for free
Page 21 of 22 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 >
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Re: Squirrels are great.

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I am sorry to put a damper on your thoughts that these grey squirrels are cute little critters but this is is far from the truth.
They are classed as vermin and do an awful lot of damage to wild life and sapling trees. They carry a virus that has decimated our own native red squirrels. They take eggs and fledglings from nests and destroy young trees by chewing the bark. Ever year in many parts of forest land there is a cull. If a grey squirrel is caught in a trap it is against the law to release it. It has to be humanely destroyed.
Yes they are cute little creatures and it is amusing to sit there and watch their antics trying to get into bird feeders etc; but the fact is they are officially classed as vermin.
And the point you are trying to make is what exactly?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 02:37 PM

I,ve made my point. Grey squirrels are officially classed as vermin.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 03:03 PM

Please don,t get me wrong. I am just stating facts. I live in the New Forest and see grey squirrels almost every day. I have a brother in law who is a forest keeper and has a permit which allows him to carry a rifle within the borders of the forest to cull, the grey squirrel.
I am as big an animal lover as the next man and would never harm any. It 'hurts' to see the results of these culls but it is necessary to carry out these culls to protect other wild life. I would like to pass on a warning. If you corner most wild animals they will do their best to get away from you but a squirrel, if cornered, will attack and they carry a very nasty bite. If you do get bitten by one then you will have to have a tetanus jab. By the way the name squirrel is a misnomer, They are officially known as tree rats. The name squirrel is because they are similar in shape to our own native red squirrel.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 06:55 PM

Big Ben,

If you don't mind, the thread is called "Squirrels are great", so please open your own thread if you want to put a lot of cruel rubbish on it. I don't want you gossiping about "our quirrels" behind their backs.
Thank you.

The Fox Squirrel
big ben
United Kingdom

27-01-2019, 07:32 PM

Sorry if you feel that way but facts are facts.
I am, by the way a member of the RSPB and love not just birds but other animals as well. After all they all do what animals do. Please don,t call me 'cruel' I am even against fishing. I am anti hunting of wild animals with dogs Some say fish cannot feel pain. Just because they make no sound does not mean they don,t feel pain. I am not and have never been cruel to any animal.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 03:05 PM

People sure do know how to twist words. I didn't say "cruel big ben". I said cruel rubbish. Don't you take the time to read or do you just jump to conclusions.

I like rats too. I am thinking of getting one. I don't want you coming in to the thread tellling me all the cruel rubbish about rats either.

There is lots of wild animals that have certain diseases, etc. that is not what this thread is all about.

It is about our squirrels (Mr Fraggle and me)..we each have some.

I don't mean to be sharp Mr Ben, but you did a lot of typing to convince us of something. We don't care, we like them anyway. I like all wild animals.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 03:13 PM

Lots of animals have been introduced into environments where they were not native and indigenous species has suffered because of this but unfortunately there is little anyone can do once the new species is established, so it is very unfortunate for the red squirrel.
but my squirrels are townies and are here to stay, that they are considered vermin by some is meaningless like all wildlife they are entitled to be.

I will certainly continue to feed, video and enjoy them.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

29-01-2019, 03:27 PM

Me too Mr. Fraggle.

Blue x
MrFraggle
United Kingdom

18-02-2019, 10:40 AM

Two of my squirrels friends have been killed. They set up home in a loft and chewed through cables so a pest controller was called, he caught them and killed them.
This really bothers me but unfortunately it is the law.
But I still have my other visitors, simple Simon is still hanging upside down on the bird feeder even though he has looked at the squirrel feeder he cannot figure it out, I have even propped the lid open a bit hoping the smell of the peanuts will show him where to go but as yet nope.
I managed to capture a couple moving along together as yet I do not know if they are noobies or not but they have been spotted playing in a tree by a neighbour, I will try and get a better video of them.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom

25-02-2019, 03:04 PM

Made a fruit stand for birds and squirrels out of a couple of bits of timber, to plastic shelf brackets and a long brass screw.
Will try it with some corn on the cob in the next day or so.

Page 21 of 22 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top