Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Re: Zero Waste Household

Hi Bruce, l see you have had problems in Susie recently disposing of excess stormwater,will this be added to your utility bill?Regards, Donkeyman.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Hi Bruce, l see you have had problems in Susie recently disposing of excess stormwater,will this be added to your utility bill?Regards, Donkeyman.
Storm water is the council's responsibility I pay $25 a year for stormwater management.

We don't mix sewage and stormwater in fact Sydney Water occasionally goes round pumping smoke into the sewers to see if any comes out of your drains or gutters. If they see any you are in big trouble.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Storm water is the council's responsibility I pay $25 a year for stormwater management.

We don't mix sewage and stormwater in fact Sydney Water occasionally goes round pumping smoke into the sewers to see if any comes out of your drains or gutters. If they see any you are in big trouble.
Sneaky!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 12:35 PM

I should have said that it is part of the outrageous annual council rates that we pay not a separate charge:

$1490 a year!! Bastards!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 Wollongong Council Rates Storm.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	8639  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 12:41 PM

same here Bruce, we don't get the service for free although different councils have different schemes which makes it confusing. For instance at my last address, garden waste was taken free and mixed with food waste. Where I am now, they are separate and garden waste has to be paid for separately or can be taken to the recycling centre for free. Also, we cannot recycle, plastic wrapping, bubble wrap etc.

I think we are getting there but it would be good if it could be standardised across the uk so we all know where we stand.

Also, due to recycling centres now charging for some waste, (building materials, hardcore etc) we now have the problem of fly tipping which I'm sure costs more to clear up than they receive in fees. A lot of our recycling centres are private companies though.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 01:51 PM

Fly tipping is a night mare .
The most beautiful walks are ruined by these anti social misfits .
OUr recycling place has now said you must take ID to prove you are entitled to use it.

We have a green bin ( houseshold )
Brown one ( garden waste )
Blue bin ( plastics and cardboard)
Black box ( paper tins and glass)

They come every two weeks .

We compost all our organic waste .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 02:40 AM

It's frustrating to me that we try to be so conscientious about recycling, reducing, and reusing...when here in the hospital the amount of waste that is produced is beyond comprehension.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 04:10 AM

Hi

Try as I might I cannot get down to Zero waste.

I have to burn perennial weeds and black plastic and batteries have to go to be disposed of.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top