Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 06:49 PM

Re: Haemochromatosis - 'The most common condition you've never heard of'

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
When told you I had to take iron, I think that is when you told me about Al and that was the first time I had heard of it.
See ya!

I have to take iron too, blue...but Al has too much iron in his body and that's why he needs to have a phlebotomy every so often.

See ya on the flip side...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 07:06 PM

In the UK, a phlebotomy is called a venesection - I've just had one and will need at least another two to bring my serum ferritin below 50µg/l .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 08:27 AM

Haemochromatosis: 'Most common' genetic disorder test call

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-46891782

A woman who believes three members of her family died from the UK's most common genetic disorder wants to see routine testing introduced.

Jenny Lees' son Jason Cloke died in 2010 aged 42 after his organs were damaged by a build up of iron.

Her mother and sister died from severe liver damage, a common symptom.

She now wants to see regular blood tests, which can pick up the condition, become more frequent.

Haemochromatosis makes the body absorb too much iron from a person's diet and affects about 250,000 people in the UK.

It was thought to lead to diabetes, liver disease and severe arthritis in about one in 100 carriers but new research from Exeter University has suggested the true level could be closer to one in 10 among female carriers, and one in five for males.

Professor David Melzer, from Exeter University, said the researchers were hoping the NHS would find routine ways of testing for it.
The sooner, the better .....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top