Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 01:47 PM

Re: Plastics into bricks

I think anything is possible but the problem is that we need companies to invest in the future, not something that happens easily in this Country. I can't find any price info on recycled plastic bricks but I am guessing they are more expensive than the humble house brick.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
P.s. in the thread about the beach clean up in India it's great to see but my mind is now asking where did the plastics go , were they re used or dumped, perhaps I need to re read it maybe it says
Plus, you have to ask why it got into that state in the first place.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 02:21 PM

Whilst we are at it with recycling plastics into bricks or breeze blocks which ever you want to call them.

Why not do away with the plague of landfills that are a disease on this country and probably others by burning all rubbish in specially made furnaces with filters stopping the smoke pollution and making that waste into breeze blocks and using them as insulation and a fire retardant. They have already been burnt at very high levels of heat and would make a great retardant. Or even use it on roads instead of tarmac.

Simple answers are there is to much money being made on the present ways for any change.
Except of course in small or third world country's were you hardly hear anything about these things being used.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-01-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Whilst we are at it with recycling plastics into bricks or breeze blocks which ever you want to call them.

Why not do away with the plague of landfills that are a disease on this country and probably others by burning all rubbish in specially made furnaces with filters stopping the smoke pollution and making that waste into breeze blocks and using them as insulation and a fire retardant. They have already been burnt at very high levels of heat and would make a great retardant. Or even use it on roads instead of tarmac.

Simple answers are there is to much money being made on the present ways for any change.
Except of course in small or third world country's were you hardly hear anything about these things being used.
I'm sure there are lots of ways to re use the rubbish currently going into land fill LF and I'm sure it could be turned into energy too.

What I don't understand is that materials which are actually useful in landfill like stone, brick etc (used for hardcore) has to be paid for at the recycling centre. You would think these would be the easiest materials to recycle.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I am sure I have read somewhere that plastic is being turned into house bricks and they are just as strong as the real thing.
Certainly a good idea. Unfortunately, they can't be used for load bearing walls so that would limit their potential use.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 05:57 PM

There are some quite thought provoking ideas used on the TV series "Grand Designs" whereby some people have built homes from recyclable materials (which normally come from Scandinavia).
Perhaps these materials are too costly to enforce as the rule in future homebuilds though?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
One thing that did cross my mind with this idea though is what happens when a house catches fire? The smoke from burning plastic is highly toxic and would affect all neighbouring houses I guess.

I'm trying to think what plastics we have in ordinary houses.

A bit of guttering, facia boards, PVC windows and doors, wiring, plugs. Probably not that much all said.
That is a very good point Realist.

I was thinking that it's also probably not very environmentally friendly to convert plastic to bricks. It's like the whole recycling glass milk bottles thing. Uses more energy to wash and recycle than plastic (allegedly).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
There are some quite thought provoking ideas used on the TV series "Grand Designs" whereby some people have built homes from recyclable materials (which normally come from Scandinavia).
Perhaps these materials are too costly to enforce as the rule in future homebuilds though?
The really good idea is turning shipping containers into accommodation. We will probably have a surplus of these soon.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The really good idea is turning shipping containers into accommodation. We will probably have a surplus of these soon.
Dunno about that as they are either extremely hot inside or very cold, depending on the weather. Steel doesn't take any prisoners when it comes to comfort.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

06-01-2019, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Dunno about that as they are either extremely hot inside or very cold, depending on the weather. Steel doesn't take any prisoners when it comes to comfort.
hmmm... the idea of turning these into prison cells may therefore appeal to some here....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top