Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 10:04 PM

Bet You Can't Solve This Problem!

Here's a toughie I bet no-one will be able to solve. God Bless you if you do, but I won't get my hopes up.

My two little boys, Ollie and Flynn, (the size of a Westie), have slept in their little baskets in the bedroom at night ever since they became housetrained and we could finally put their cage back in the garage. well over 2 years now.
Their baskets are nice and soft with every comfort, and they have never been a problem sleeping right through until we got up in the morning.

The problem we have is that for the last two weeks, both of them have been waiting until we are well away in the land of nod before sneaking up and into the centre of the bed! Ollie curls up at the bottom of the bed always, but Flynn goes on all fours and slowly makes his way full length up to the top of the bed until his head is practically resting on either HWMO or my - pillow !

We have tried everything to stop them doing it, but every morning, we both wake up and there they are, nicely settled and fast asleep in the middle of the duvet (king size) with both of us having no duvet and freezing arms and legs because they have taken all the duvet into the centre.

It doesn't matter what we do, scold them, pretend to be asleep and watch as the little beggars look at us and quickly jump up (sometimes right on top of us) in their quest to get into the centre.then scold them scurrying back to their baskets, until we genuinely fall asleep again and hey presto.

We don't want them on the bed at all, but we are at a loss as to how to prevent them from doing it. Please don't suggest putting them out of the bedroom, We wouldn't get any sleep at all if we did that, they wouldn't know what was happening to them and fret all night. (I already tried it by putting their baskets in the hall outside and closed the door. it lasted all of 15 minutes before they started howling in unison!.

I even bought an extra king size duvet in the hope of staying warm because the width was much longer, Nope, they still ended up with most of it and we with cold arms.

Told you it was a toughie. Must mention that where their baskets are placed is lovely and snug between two cupboards where they have always been and where I thought they were perfectly content for life.

Any solutions please. most grateful. xx
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 10:11 PM

Re: Bet You Can't Solve This Problem!

You could try putting a stairgate in the doorway so they can still see you and put them out of the bedroom or a hot water bottle or one of those microwave hot thingys in their bed.

Dolly will do the same so I'm trying different things too but I find her on my feet quite comforting as there's only me in the bed! I have only a single bed and have actually ended up being pushed out onto the floor!

I have one cat that tries to sleep on my head and another one that will think nothing of walking over my face while I'm asleep!

I sometimes feel inferior!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 10:23 PM

My brother laughed last year when I said my new pup wasn’t going to be sleeping on my bed, but she demanded to be lifted up when the winter turned so cold (my flat can be freezing). And there she stays. Yes, she too walks on my hair, takes up most of the pillow, pushes her nose into my face. Smells. Shifts position so her feet are pushing into my head.

But I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Sorry, can’t advise. Can only assume they are just feeling the cold, like Holly did.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 10:30 PM

I don't have a problem with mine being on the bed. And he is a big fellow - almost 40kg. If he is in the way I give him a nudge, he grunts, then moves.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 10:36 PM

Get the crates out again. Better - get a largish enclosure and put their beds and them into it and ignore them. You will just have to tough it out if you don't want them on the bed as it has now become custom and practice and they are used to getting their way. Reclaim your bed and have things your way, not theirs.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
You could try putting a stairgate in the doorway so they can still see you and put them out of the bedroom or a hot water bottle or one of those microwave hot thingys in their bed.

Dolly will do the same so I'm trying different things too but I find her on my feet quite comforting as there's only me in the bed! I have only a single bed and have actually ended up being pushed out onto the floor!

I have one cat that tries to sleep on my head and another one that will think nothing of walking over my face while I'm asleep!

I sometimes feel inferior!
It's checking out the tender parts of your face so it can eat it if you are ever unfortunate to snuff it and haven't left their Kit-e-Kat out.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 11:41 PM

Hi Shrops. I'm wondering if something has spooked them? A storm, fireworks noises from neighbours etc?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 11:53 PM

Firstly, no doubt one of them thought up the idea, and then the other one didn't want to be left out, so copied - unless of course they worked out a plan together while you were asleep.

The only way you can stop them settling down between you is to snuggle up closer to the O.H. and then there won't be room for them to get in between you.

Seriously though Shroppie, if you secretly don't mind, then you have the answer, but if you really do object, you will have to be firm and put them back in their beds with a word in their ear as soon as you feel them 'land.' Bit late when they've been there for hours!

Good luck.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Firstly, no dount one of them thought up the idea, and then the other one didn't want to be left out, so copied - unless of course they worked out a plan together while you were asleep.

The only way you can stop them settling down between you is to snuggle up closer to the O.H. and then there won't be room for them to get in between you.

Seriously though Shroppie, if you secretly don't mind, then you have the answer, but if you really do object, you will have to be firm and put them back in their beds with a word in their ear as soon as you feel them 'land.' Bit late when they've been there for hours!

Good luck.
Ha, yes that is probably true.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Here's a toughie I bet no-one will be able to solve. God Bless you if you do, but I won't get my hopes up.
If you have a spare bedroom, sleep in there!

Perhaps after a while they'll get used to your not being in your normal bed and sleep in another room.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top