Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 01:00 PM

Re: Bet You Can't Solve This Problem!

Originally Posted by Mups ->
With mine, I won't say I can't cure the old gal sleeping at the bottom of the bed, the truth is, I don't mind, and rather like to feel her little body there. I am not complaining at all, because I know if I tell any of them to 'Get off', they will.

I agree with you Julie, that being pack animals, dogs usually sleep in heap against each other. It is NOT natural for them to wish to sleep alone.
Puppies in nests sleep in very close contact for comfort, body warmth and safety. A tiny pup sleeping in a cold bed alone would not fare well.

It makes me very angry when thoughtless and ignorant new owners bring a pup home who has never been alone in it's life, never eaten alone, slept alone, often given a different diet, has lost it's mother and siblings and has nothing familiar around it whatsoever - all this happens to it in the space of one day. Many changes all at once for a young mind to process and understand, then the ignorant and selfish new owner expects it to not miss it's family, not be afraid, not feel lonely, not cry, all because the human wants to sleep!

Pack instinct, which some people are so fond of quoting, means a whole lot more than an egotistical human with ancient ideas, about having to ''Dominate" another life.
Have to agree with you Mups, we always had our pups from responsible breeders and never brought them home until they were at least 10 weeks old. When they were put into their basket in the cage which we always had for their own safety, the first thing that always went into their basket was an old hot water bottle knitted cover that contained a clock (not an alarm clock). We found that the reassuring ticking of the hidden clock was a real boon when we went out or especially in the quiet of the night as it replaced the heartbeat of their own mother. It worked every time and we hardly ever experienced a fretting puppy.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 01:42 PM

Shropshiregirl, I completely understand the dogs/Bed/duvet saga, its something Ive lived with the past 30 years

Ive even bought a superkingsized bed and still I get about 4 inches of space on the edge

And that's with cats now, my dog days are over

Started like you, dog in crate as pup, dog in basket beside bed, dog sneaking up on bed, dog taking over the bed - both time

One time I was sleeping with on on my feet, and one tucked under my chin

And now the cats do the same

What we have done is to have a pet throw on the bed. Cos funnily enough the cats ( and the dogs previously to them) learned they were allowed on the throws, but not the seat cushions of the sofa. So a throw at the bottom of the bed keeps them down that end.

Im of the age where I don't like any heat in the bed, so I still sleep on the edge to keep cool, Mr Missy has the extra heat from the throw to keep him warm ( he feels the cold ) and as long as Ive got room to move my legs, we muddle along ok
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 02:32 PM

LOL, thanks Missy, sounds as though you know exactly what I am going through, especially as my side of the bed faces the window. The idea of a throw over the top of the duvet wouldn't work unfortunately, as these two little beggars root at everything that is not in place. They even have a ritual of doing it with the cushion and blanket in their own baskets until they finally find a comfortable position. Any throw would just end up in a heap.

I did perhaps think maybe they were cold during the night as the bedroom is the only room in the house that the central heating is never on and the window is left open a little, but as I said, their baskets are positioned between two cupboards far away from the window, there is no possibility of draughts reaching them and it is a really snug area for them. They are so warm when I pick them up first thing in the morning so I know it is not the cause.

No, it seems I will have to accept the fact that it is, as a few on here have said, more of a case of a pack mentality and they have decided that they prefer to snuggle up to the two of us rather than sleep next to each other in their baskets.

I think I would be better served concentrating on training HWMO to accept that there are four of us in bed now, not two!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 03:38 PM

That will be the easiest option

Mr Missy used to work away from home so for 3 weeks at a time it was just me and the dog sharing the bed. His first night back there was always a tussle between the two of them as to who got to get in beside me
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 04:00 PM

My daughter's dog did the same thing lol. She bought a crate and made it all comfy like their bed would be, stuck it where she wanted the dog to sleep and shut her in. Did this for a week then started leaving the cage door open, if the dog came out then it was closed in for a week again. She soon got the idea and now stays in her bed. Took a while but eventually......
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 05:24 PM

Aha! What about letting the dogs have the bed and you sleep on the floor!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Aha! What about letting the dogs have the bed and you sleep on the floor!
Then there's always that lol. lol.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 09:55 PM

This is where my cheeky monkey has slept for most of the day. She dived in there this morning as we were taking bed linen out from the drawer and there she stayed, quite happy to halt proceedings. She came out for dinner at five then went back. She is still there now, snoring away.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010945.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	8445  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 10:16 PM

That looks a cosy den she has there, dongle.

You need to hang a 'Do not Disturb' on the handle for her, but don't forget she's in there and shut the drawer will you.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That looks a cosy den she has there, dongle.

You need to hang a 'Do not Disturb' on the handle for her, but don't forget she's in there and shut the drawer will you.
We always have to check where she is. She often jumps in the cupboard or a wardrobe.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top