Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 02:12 PM

Re: Flea Treatment

Im with Mups, I never use a preventative

Only twice in 30 years of dog ownership have we had fleas and still haven't seen fleas on the cats after two years

I use indorex on the house when we have had fleas, problem solved
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
how much do the injections cost Lodo?
I think it's a bout £35 but would no doubt be more for a dog.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 05:38 PM

Well we must all do what we feel is best for our pets, and what we personally believe in.

Why treat for really nasty worms like Lungworm or Heartworm, if the poor dog has only got a few Roundworms?
Some people worm every month, which horrifies me.

Does anyone ever even have a faecial worm count done so they know exactly what to worm for before they start?

My oldest one at the mo, who was 13 last November, had some tests done for something else, which indicated she might be bleeding internally.
The vet suggested worming for Lungworms straightaway.

I said No, I would have a worm count done first.
I took the samples to the lab myself and handed them in.
The results came back in a couple of days and she had no worms of any sort whatsoever.

I do agree some dogs are more likely to pick up worms than others, depending on their mixing with other animals, plus the environment they are exercised or kept in.

I also believe it wise to keep their immune systems strong and not keep battering their poor bodies with strong chemicals unecessarily. Keep these for when/if they are needed.

However, I am not like some on the forum (Brexit?) who will argue till the cows come home to try and force others into their way of thinking.

After having animals my whole life, listening to others, and much research and reading, I will do my utmost to care for my dogs in the way I feel is in their best interest, and I am sure we all do the same.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 05:40 PM

We have owned cats for about 27 years and never bothered with any preventative treatment, only when we moved did these two get fleas. We wasted a whole two years and lots of money trying to get rid of them. They were getting worse and worse until I had to make the decision to give them the injection. The injection along with the tablet worked almost instantly and gave them instant relief..... and us.

I would urge anyone with cats with thick fur to get the injection rather than waste money on spot on which doesn't really penetrate the skin. They are very happy cats now.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 07:23 PM

My two little boys (dogs) have their flea/tick treatment tablets (Bravecto) once every 3 months. It is rather pricey at £26.10 per dog, but every fourth dose per year is free.

They also have their worming tablets once every three months (Milpro for small dogs) at £4.42 per dog. We live in the country so better to be safe than sorry/ We also book our holidays in cottages where surrounded by sheep, which everyone knows is rife for ticks, but never once have we had any tick or flee problem with them, or us.

The vet said that if the boys ever did get a tick or fleas, they suck the dogs blood and die immediately. Gulp! I did think to myself what on earth is in their little bodies that would kill ticks and fleas, but then again, if I don't treat them, they are the ones that would suffer, so there we are.

Plus of course, they get their annual booster and a very thorough health check.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 07:42 PM

We use Stronghold.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
My two little boys (dogs) have their flea/tick treatment tablets (Bravecto) once every 3 months. It is rather pricey at £26.10 per dog, but every fourth dose per year is free.

They also have their worming tablets once every three months (Milpro for small dogs) at £4.42 per dog. We live in the country so better to be safe than sorry/ We also book our holidays in cottages where surrounded by sheep, which everyone knows is rife for ticks, but never once have we had any tick or flee problem with them, or us.

The vet said that if the boys ever did get a tick or fleas, they suck the dogs blood and die immediately. Gulp! I did think to myself what on earth is in their little bodies that would kill ticks and fleas, but then again, if I don't treat them, they are the ones that would suffer, so there we are.

Plus of course, they get their annual booster and a very thorough health check.

Here's some info from the Kennel Club about Ticks you may find of interest, Shroppie.

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/hea...-owners/ticks/

And here's their info about Fleas:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/get...fleas-in-dogs/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-01-2019, 08:36 PM

This lady, Catherine O'Driscoll, from Canine Health Concern, has a different approach altogether.

Several of her beloved dogs died through vaccinations, so that gave her incentive to start researching these things.
There are sub-headings on the page I have posted, and lots of info, so you only need to click on which ones interest you.

https://chchealth.weebly.com/adverse-reactions.html

We must all make up our own minds, they are our pets, nobody else's.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This lady, Catherine O'Driscoll, from Canine Health Concern, has a different approach altogether.

Several of her beloved dogs died through vaccinations, so that gave her incentive to start researching these things.
There are sub-headings on the page I have posted, and lots of info, so you only need to click on which ones interest you.

https://chchealth.weebly.com/adverse-reactions.html

We must all make up our own minds, they are our pets, nobody else's.
And wee Alfie was never vaccinated after his first course
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-01-2019, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
And wee Alfie was never vaccinated after his first course

Mine have their puppy vaccs, but never before they are 12 weeks old.

Then they have the first year booster, and that's the lot.
After that, since around the mid 80's, I have used homeopathic oral vaccines for the rest of their life, and still do.

I do not have the newer Lepto 4 Vacc. either, because it has had many worrying write-ups, even causing death in some poor dogs.
And secondly, it 'protects' against some Lepto strains we don't even get in this country! So why have such vaccine?

My vet gets the older Lepto 2 in for mine if I ask him.

If some would rather just go along with whatever they are told to do, and are not interested in looking things up for themselves and learning before handing their dogs health over to someone else - who is making money out of it don't forget -, then that is their choice.

I can only say what I do.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top