Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 11:53 PM

Re: Flea Treatment

Im the same as you

When I chose not to vaccinate Alfie, I had to sign a disclaimer at out vets, even though even back then insurance companies were coming around dogs not needing yearly vacs

Then I moved from London to the country and had a more clued up vet, but even they pressed me to take the lepto, single dose, because of living in the country, which we did do

I still to this day believe my first dog died because of the vaccinations. He was a healthy puppy and no heart problems were found till he was two years old, they then found a murmur , and he died aged 11 with heart failiure
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Im the same as you

When I chose not to vaccinate Alfie, I had to sign a disclaimer at out vets, even though even back then insurance companies were coming around dogs not needing yearly vacs

Then I moved from London to the country and had a more clued up vet, but even they pressed me to take the lepto, single dose, because of living in the country, which we did do

I still to this day believe my first dog died because of the vaccinations. He was a healthy puppy and no heart problems were found till he was two years old, they then found a murmur , and he died aged 11 with heart failiure

I didn't even think vets did yearly vaccs any more these days Missy?

My vets use a 3 year licensed vaccine, so it is only a three year booster if you want it.
It is just the Lepto vacc that doesn't last very long, sometimes only a few months I believe, and that is the only one that is normally given annualy now.
Is that what you meant?

Sorry to keep posting links, but we have a choice whether to read or not.

There are many, many reports on the Lepto 4 doing damage.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...uk-dogs-dying/
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:14 AM

No you are right, the yearly vacs should be a thing of the past, Im going back a good few years - Alfie has been dead five years and Gunnar 20 years

Im sure if I do go the route of another dog, I will have to learn from the start all over again
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
No you are right, the yearly vacs should be a thing of the past, Im going back a good few years - Alfie has been dead five years and Gunnar 20 years

Im sure if I do go the route of another dog, I will have to learn from the start all over again

When you said about signing something at your vets, Missy, what was it?

I know most insurances won't cough up if your dog succumbs to an illness he could have been vaccinated against, but I have never heard of a vet making you sign anything?
Mel15
Nowhere

20-01-2019, 01:33 AM

It was a disclaimer saying I had been given the facts on vaccination and had chosen not to have the dog vaccinated

Back in the day, Insurance companies tried to not pay out if anything happened to the dog if he hadn't been vaccinated. Then they changed the wording to say that as long as the dog was vaccinated to the vets recommendation or something like that. So my vet recommended, I refused, he made me sign a disclaimer
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Here's some info from the Kennel Club about Ticks you may find of interest, Shroppie.

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/hea...-owners/ticks/

And here's their info about Fleas:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/get...fleas-in-dogs/
Thanks very much for that very informative and interesting read Mups. It certainly reassures me that it is well worth getting the best treatments as recommended by my lovely vet, to ensure they never get tick or flea infestation, especially as they have the run of the house (and our flippin bed).
Safety for them, Peace of mind for us.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:12 PM

This thread reminds me of the flu thread, do we or don't we use preventative medicine hehe
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-01-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
This thread reminds me of the flu thread, do we or don't we use preventative medicine hehe

Ah, but the difference is Queenie, as I have said repeatedly, I don't tell anyone else what to do

I only say what I personally do and others must decide for themselves.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
First and foremost, I never use preventative flea treatments on my dogs and never have done.

I will de-flea mine if and when I ever see a flea, which is almost never.

Do we take Paracetamol all the time incase we get a headache one day? No.

Same principal to me.

Apart from that, if you continually use the same chemical, the fleas become immune to it.
Same as garden insects become immune to sprays, and worms become immune to the same wormers used year after year.

Same as humans are becoming immune to overuse of antibiotics!

If you want to treat a dog for fleas that hasn't even got these pesky critters, you must change the chemical annually. Not just the brand name, I mean read what chemical is in it, and change to a brand with a different chemical.
Same with wormers.

So many vets flog wormers, and de-fleeing stuff at the same time the poor dog has it's boosters.
Stop and think for a moment what a huge array of nasty chemicals you are administering in one go, especially with young puppies.

I feel very strongly about this.
I agree with you Mups. I do not flea either of my dogs regularly and have never seen fleas on them. Every six months I do use a vet prescribed household spray round the carpets which I think acts as a good preventative. I worm fairly regularly, about 3 x a year. When I asked my vet about vaccinations he told me that every three years was sufficient and there was no need to vaccinate yearly, so that is what I do.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 01:23 PM

I thought dogs and cats had to be deflead as when out walking the dogs and cats out on the tiles that they picked fleas and ticks up from the grass?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top