Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 07:56 AM

Shortage of Medecines

Hi

There is a severe shortage of some common medicines.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46843631

I have been waiting for one for two weeks and another since last Wednesday, never had a problem before.

Nothing to do with Brexit, but it is an issue.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 10:07 AM

Re: Shortage of Medecines

This happens from time to time. I take a medication which can be difficult to obtain and having once waited a week for the doctor's surgery to get it in I ended up telephoning every pharmacy in the area until I managed to find a supply.

My niece an asthmatic with a severe allergy problem had difficulty obtaining her Epipen adrenaline last year due to production difficulties.

Shortages are something we have to live with.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Epipens have been in short supply for a while, we are being told to use out of date ones and not throw them away until we get new ones issued. Makes me think if they work longer than they state on the packs then how many have we thrown away that still worked in the past ? criminal waste IMO
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Epipens have been in short supply for a while, we are being told to use out of date ones and not throw them away until we get new ones issued. Makes me think if they work longer than they state on the packs then how many have we thrown away that still worked in the past ? criminal waste IMO
Hi Julie the pens go out of date and lose potency. We had a couple in the house medical cabinet at work for girls with food allergies and we staff were taught to use them. We had to check the date and record it (along with other medication) regularly.

I guess an out of date pen may be better than none at all in that it might work but it shouldn't be relied on.
I read of a case not long ago where an old pen was used and didn't work .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Julie the pens go out of date and lose potency. We had a couple in the house medical cabinet at work for girls with food allergies and we staff were taught to use them. We had to check the date and record it (along with other medication) regularly.

I guess an out of date pen may be better than none at all in that it might work but it shouldn't be relied on.
I read of a case not long ago where an old pen was used and didn't work .
Thanks meg, the pharmacy just said carry on using the old one until they can get some more in and never suggested it might not work !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

20-01-2019, 11:43 AM

Thanks meg, the pharmacy just said carry on using the old one until they can get some more in and never suggested it might not work !
Julie people with severe allergies should always have 2 pens one doesn't always work anyway. My niece carries 2 with her everywhere .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-01-2019, 11:46 AM

Julie people with severe allergies should always have 2 pens one doesn't always work anyway. My niece carries 2 with her everywhere .
Yes I've had several occasions where even two wasn't enough and I've been really lucky the paramedic has got to me with their supplies. I have to thank the paramedics on motor bikes for being so quick and brilliant physicians they have saved me a few times.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 11:52 AM

Shortages are something we have to live with.
If people have meds they need to take regularly for serious reasons then common sense suggests they should have a forward stock of them as you would with anything else.

Do people drive around in their cars with no spare tyre or no tyre repair kit?!

Do people go out and buy 1 small packet of toilet rolls at a time or do you have a few packets in the cupboard . . . just in case you run short?!

If people have the common sense to think ahead for such things then why don't they do the same for their meds which is surely infinitely more important?

You CAN get meds anywhere. You can buy them over the internet, you can buy them in foreign countries. There are always places that will forego the fact that in the UK you need a prescription.

Would people really put their lives at risk by not having a forward stock of their important Meds? Really? Just to be compliant with silly little rules !

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-01-2019, 11:58 AM

Have you tried getting more meds realist, mine are life saving you can't get more than two weeks at a time, the GPs just won't write scripts for them if you ask for them. I always have a fight to get enough to go on holiday let alone stock up.

There are also laws about how many of some meds you can get. It's lovely idea but just not possible to stock pile many.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:00 PM

Have you tried getting more meds realist, mine are life saving you can't get more than two weeks at a time, the GPs just won't write scripts for them if you ask for them. I always have a fight to get enough to go on holiday let alone stock up.

There are also laws about how many of some meds you can get. It's lovely idea but just not possible to stock pile many.
So you didn't read a word of what I just said then !!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top