Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 03:18 AM

Vaccinations for dogs

I don't believe in giving dogs yearly vaccinations .
They can cause terrible problems with allergies
My dog being young has all his vaccinations as a puppy plus rabies .
But I don't intend to give him yearly boosters

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/8572826/ns.../#.XEvB29GnyhA
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 05:59 AM

Re: Vaccinations for dogs

I took advantage years ago of boosters for life for Samson and sure enough every 12 months they send a reminder and he has them no problems
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 07:35 AM

My dogs used to get an annual one for heartworm, distemper and parvovirus. I had a dog with distemper in England, horrible disease (she survived) likewise heartworm is crippling so all my animals had their shots.

Academic now haven't had an animal for years
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 09:29 AM

Heartworm is usually in my experience preventedly treated by tablets .
If the dog has a heartworm injection and has already got heartworm it must be kept very quiet for one month.
The dead heart worms need to be absorbed by the body exercise can cause them to dislodge and kill he dog
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 10:05 AM

My dogs have their puppy jabs, then the first year booster, and that is all.

My vet uses a 3 year vaccine and it is now common knowledge they do NOT need vaccinating every year.
When people have had titre testing done first, vaccines have been found to still cover them for several years, so in my opinion it is uneccessary and quite probably harmful to the dog as well.

The only one that doesn't last a full year is the Lepto jabs, and even then, my vet gets Lepto 2 in for me, as I won't have the newer Lepto 4 vaccine.
Again, homework shows it works against Lept strains we don't even have in this country, and has been killing some dogs!

Do humans go for Polio jabs every year - No. It was something most of us had done as children and that's your lot.

This lady, Catherine O'Driscoll, has some very interesting views on the subject. She has done an awful lot of research since losing a couple of her own dogs through vaccination.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...ine-odriscoll/ .......... or google Canine Health Concern.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Heartworm is usually in my experience preventedly treated by tablets .
If the dog has a heartworm injection and has already got heartworm it must be kept very quiet for one month.
The dead heart worms need to be absorbed by the body exercise can cause them to dislodge and kill he dog
Indeed it can be but, as I recall, tablets have to be administered monthly whereas the injection is an annual event. In my opinion that is far more convenient.

From memory they usually test for heartworm first because treatment is different if the animal already has heartworm, if negative then it is just an annual injection.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 11:28 AM

I have Bailie vaccinated every year as I am a bit paranoid about getting ill. If I got ill she could well end up in kennels (temporarily) and kennels won't take your dog if it's not up to date with it's jabs.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 11:50 AM

We have always had our dogs fully vaccinated. It is foolish to think a pet won't get a preventable illness sometime during its life time.
If going into kennels while on holiday a dog must be fully vaccinated and had the Kennel cough vaccination.

I would hate to think that every time we took our dog/s out for a walk we are risking their health, for the cost of an annual jab why risk it.
Having owned dogs for almost 50 years and often several at one time Sue and I would never forgive ourselves through lack of preventable treatment
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

26-01-2019, 11:56 AM

I think the kennel cough vaccine is an especial waste of time.
It's like a human flu injection.
kennel cough is a relatively mild disease even if they catch unless you dog is seriously compromised.
You may well have kept dogs for 50 years but opinions change especially on medical matters .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 12:14 PM

With my last two dogs, l didn’t have them vaccinated again after their booster. This was mainly because my poodle collapsed after having his booster injection and l thought he would die.
I read into it and found that many breeders didn’t vaccinate their dogs every year, mainly because of the expense.
There were lots of reports on the adverse affect the vaccinations had on many dogs too.
My vet never mentioned that l wasn’t having my dogs vaccinated.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top