Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 05:51 PM

Re: Gas boiler problems

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well only bits of mine gone wrong over that time were programmer timer and thermostat, the boiler it's self is serviced each year and never caused us a days worry. I'm rapidly touching wood here BTW as claiming that is bound to cause it to go wrong tomorrow
The great problem with old boilers is that they are very inefficient now compared with the new ones, and I believe there are generous government incentives at the moment to replace them. My Mum's back boiler is now over thirty years old but has had a few problems lately, so I'm hoping to convince her to replace it this summer...
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The great problem with old boilers is that they are very inefficient now compared with the new ones, and I believe there are generous government incentives at the moment to replace them. My Mum's back boiler is now over thirty years old but has had a few problems lately, so I'm hoping to convince her to replace it this summer...
Aint been in the game for 10+years.

Back boilers never made the standard to be replaced...bit like the dinosaur.

OK so you have an old boiler 30 years old.

For every £ you spend using it you if lucky will get about 73% return normaly around 50%+

BUT TO help save the planet.

But these new boilers give a return and have 93%

And so also with the money saved you can replace it every 5 years

With a Condensing Combi they have to return at least 93% of energy used.

In this day and age keeping an old heating boiler is down right stupid
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
This weather isn't the time for your gas boiler to pack up but if it does, here's a useful tip...

Modern condensing boilers have a condensing pipe, usually white plastic or copper that leads to a drain, often outside. If this pipe freezes up in the cold weather then it will cut the boiler out as a safety feature. This is quite a common occurance in winter so if your boiler does cut out and you don't know why, then the first thing I would do is to locate the condensing pipe and pour warm water over it to free up and ice which may have formed a blockage then try to restart the boiler.

A simple job which can save both the wait for and the expense of an engineers call out in many instances.

Of course it may not have been that, but it costs nothing to check this first just in case.....

Well blow me, what a coicidence you writing this Barry, when I have not ten minutes ago read exactly the same advice in an email sent to me by British Gas!

They said same as you, about that outside plastic pipe, and they said never to use boiling water, just warm, or even lay a hot water bottle on it and that will thaw it too.

I am just going outside to check mine is well wrapped now, as this cold spell looks to be with us for a while yet.

Thanks Barry.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 01:11 AM

We have a condensing boiler and it was sold as this super efficient money saving change. But it has been nothing but trouble. When it works it works better than the old school type but there have been constant problems with gunk getting into the system and causing breakdowns (despite flushing, sealing etc). It's cost a fortune to repair and maintain. So maybe I'm saving the planet but it feels like quite an extravagance to do so.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We have a condensing boiler and it was sold as this super efficient money saving change. But it has been nothing but trouble. When it works it works better than the old school type but there have been constant problems with gunk getting into the system and causing breakdowns (despite flushing, sealing etc). It's cost a fortune to repair and maintain. So maybe I'm saving the planet but it feels like quite an extravagance to do so.
I take its a standard boiler and not a Combi.

This is not down to the boiler but maybe a leaking system or even a pump set to high and taking in fresh water

Best bet is to have a descaler fitted to your heating system.

And find the leak.

PS get your self a decent C/H self employed one and not someone from British gas
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 08:56 PM

Sounds more like you have crap engineers who don't have a clue to be honest....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Sounds more like you have crap engineers who don't have a clue to be honest....
Spot on fender. The engineers changed the pipework and that contributed to the problem. They made a mess and then said that the radiators needed to be replaced. But that's a load of rubbish. They set the system up so that they would keep generating income fixing it in future years. It took us a while to work that out. That those who help you are actually causing the problems in the first place. Disgusting behaviour.

I found someone through recommendation and he fixed it, then he went away and I found someone else as it went wrong again just before Christmas. All these were independent traders who were on the gas safe register. The last two have helped fix it. But I've been told the pipework needs to be reduced as there are some redundant pipes going to the loft which were not cut down when the system was sealed. Apparently the original engineers sealed the system in a lazy way. The redundant pipework is still linked to the system and makes it less efficient and may increase the rust problem (although I'm flummoxed as to how gunk is still getting into a sealed system that has been flushed twice.

Load of cowboys out there and not easy to know who to trust.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 11:44 PM

Spot on fender. The engineers changed the pipework and that contributed to the problem. They made a mess and then said that the radiators needed to be replaced. But that's a load of rubbish. They set the system up so that they would keep generating income fixing it in future years. It took us a while to work that out. That those who help you are actually causing the problems in the first place. Disgusting behaviour.

I found someone through recommendation and he fixed it, then he went away and I found someone else as it went wrong again just before Christmas. All these were independent traders who were on the gas safe register. The last two have helped fix it. But I've been told the pipework needs to be reduced as there are some redundant pipes going to the loft which were not cut down when the system was sealed. Apparently the original engineers sealed the system in a lazy way. The redundant pipework is still linked to the system and makes it less efficient and may increase the rust problem (although I'm flummoxed as to how gunk is still getting into a sealed system that has been flushed twice.

Load of cowboys out there and not easy to know who to trust.
So true Annie,

I know some good people, but unfortunately you may be too far away from them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

30-01-2019, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I take its a standard boiler and not a Combi.

This is not down to the boiler but maybe a leaking system or even a pump set to high and taking in fresh water

Best bet is to have a descaler fitted to your heating system.

And find the leak.

PS get your self a decent C/H self employed one and not someone from British gas
Yes it's a standard boiler and the pump was contributing to the problems. The cowboy engineers installed a cheapo pump which was not powerful enough for the size of the system. A new grundfos pump was installed before Christmas and that has made a difference. The pressure does not fall as fast so maybe there was a leak inside the boiler (which was flushed when the pump was changed).

There was a hole in the wall where there is an old air vent and the last engineer told me to fill that with something to keep the boiler area warmer. I put an old towel in there and maybe that has helped. He said that hold was again down to lazy workmanship.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top