Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Re: Tonka farewell flypast

The Tornadoes had a farewell tour of some of the UK this week , sadly they didn't fly over here....

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/raf-torn...ns-when-today/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the info Meg. Sadly not in my area either.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I've had trouble with the web hosting site causing the piccies to varnish so I've reposted them here.

Three Tornadoes, affectionately known as Tonkas, from RAF Marham are doing a final farewell tour of the UK before they are retired from service at the end of next month.

Today they flew over the manufactory of my former employer where the engines were originally built and tested, and I managed to snap a few pics as they went by.

The Tornado aircraft played a huge part in my life during the last forty years, and I am sad to see them go.

Farewell Tonka old friend.
Can see all of the great photos now Fruitcake, thanks...

So what are the Tornados going to be replaced with.......Eurofighters!
That's like asking Heinkel to supply our aircraft for the war effort during the second world war..

And what a crap name, not likely to install fear into the enemy is it.....not like 'Tornado, Jaguar or Spitfire'......
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

That's like asking Heinkel to supply our aircraft for the war effort during the second world war..

And what a crap name, not likely to install fear into the enemy is it.....not like 'Tornado, Jaguar or Spitfire'......
The days of putting the wind up pour enemies have gone foxy. They might be called the 'Non gender specifics' or something similar.

'The really naughty planes' perhaps?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The days of putting the wind up pour enemies have gone foxy. They might be called the 'Non gender specifics' or something similar.

'The really naughty planes' perhaps?
Well they are allowing gays and computer game addicts into the army now aren't they....
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 02:07 PM

Tornadoes are being replaced with modified Typhoons aka the Bureaufighter, and American F35 Lightning 2s, unless you are British in which case they are Lightning 3s. Someone forgot to tell the Yanks about the English Electric/BAC Lightning.

The Typhoon replacement is already in the design stage.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 02:15 PM

Well they are allowing gays and computer game addicts into the army now aren't they....
Gay warriors have been recorded throughout history as long as wars have been fought. Some of the fiercest fought alongside their lovers in pairs because each one would fight to the death to protect the other.

Gamers etcetera are apparently ideal pilots for unpersonned aircraft. We had several such aircraft of varying sizes being developed when I was gainfully employed, and their replacements area already being designed now.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 02:40 PM

The F35 will be the last ‘fighter’ or should I say ‘combat’ aircraft with the weakest link onboard ... otherwise known as a human ..
The next generation will be autonamos or remotely operated aircraft
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

22-02-2019, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
The F35 will be the last ‘fighter’ or should I say ‘combat’ aircraft with the weakest link onboard ... otherwise known as a human ..
The next generation will be autonamos or remotely operated aircraft
My sources tell me the Typhoon replacement will be the last to have an onboard pilot, but that's also what was said about the Typhoon and the F35.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 03:08 PM

Then possibly the typhoon replacement may well be so far down the development programme it will too get a guy in the front but the move toward non human combat aircraft is underway

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top