Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 08:45 PM

Re: Drying the washing

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I keep meaning to get one of those drying racks that my Grandma had .
A creel. Every working-class Northern home had one back in the day. Just had to make sure that nothing was cooked that had a strong smell.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
My tumble drier is broken so yesterday I was forced to dry a load of towels on the radiators and they're as stiff as boards!!

Anybody on here not got a tumble dryer? How do you dry your washing on winter days?
Fabric softener in the final rinse should sort that out.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 12:46 AM

Hi Judd - Yes I think that will be the only way to soften them.

I don't usually use fabric conditioner on towels but I think I'll have to until I get my drier repaired.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 08:20 AM

I wouldn't be without a tumble drier. In good weather I love the smell of washing that's blown dry outside, but wouldn't want damp clothes drying in the house, and certainly not on a radiator making the air damp and encouraging mould spores - not to mention ruining the radiator paint eventually. In an emergency I've been known to dry off a small item over the shower screen rather than put the machine on, but it's rare.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 03:49 PM

My mother had a mangle it certainly got the water out .
Oh I remember those.... I can still see the sheets as flat as a piece of paper

I don't have a drier. At this time of year, it's central heating on, wet clothes on radiators, all windows wide open. Sometimes I put the dehumidifier on too. Takes a couple of hours or so depending what I'm washing.
There's no room for a dedicated space for wet clothes. I don't put the wet clothes on the bedroom rads, just the lounge, kitchen and bathroom.

I try to wait for days that have a breeze, preferably with no rain, but that doesn't always work out.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:49 PM

My mother had a mangle it certainly got the water out .
When I bought this house it still had a mangle in the (outside) laundry. Long gone now but I saved the concrete twin tubs.

The concrete tubs (lined with zinc) used to be in great demand by horse owners but it has sat in my garden for nearly 40 years and I am thinking of planting something in it (can't rush into these things).
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 02:39 PM

I miss my tumble dryer it was a condensing one,I hate washing hanging around ,Carol,I am thinking about getting another small one that will fit into my bedroom cupboard as I have nowhere else to put it plus it would have to be another condenser.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 09:46 PM

I've got an electric clothes airer, I use it for clothes that feel damp after being on the line.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 05:12 AM

No trouble drying washing where I am today

36'C and 17% humidity, you'd have trouble keeping things wet.

45'C on the weekend.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 09:43 AM

I’d bought my TD on ‘buy now, pay after 6 months’ but decided to pay it all off yesterday, as I had funds left over. Was going to transfer into savings account but thought, better do it now. Don’t want to forget and it starts incurring hefty interest charges. (Was due April.)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top