Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 04:47 PM

Re: How often do you Decorate?

I haven't re-painted for years.

The house needed re-decorating every couple of years when we were both smokers and cooking for a large family. Cooking for our lot often involved frying chips or other food that gave off smoke.

I find the paintwork (especially ceilings) stays quite clean-looking now there are just the two of us who no longer smoke or do any cooking to a great degree.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I haven't re-painted for years.

The house needed re-decorating every couple of years when we were both smokers and cooking for a large family. Cooking for our lot often involved frying chips or other food that gave off smoke.

I find the paintwork (especially ceilings) stays quite clean-looking now there are just the two of us who no longer smoke or do any cooking to a great degree.

I agree with that Mart, not smoking (or vaping) make a lot of difference.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with that Mart, not smoking (or vaping) make a lot of difference.
Val and I both vape indoors and I can quite honestly say that the vapour does not go above head height (at least in our household).
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 05:02 PM

One thing I will add as a piece of information especially if decorating infrequently.
Acrylic Eggshell is water based but mid sheen so hides imperfections, also very tough, stain and moisture resistant interior paint perfect for bathrooms, kitchens and busy areas.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Val and I both vape indoors and I can quite honestly say that the vapour does not go above head height (at least in our household).

Really? I am surprised at that.

I am only going on people I see in the street who blow it up in the air Percy, in fact they blow it up, down, and sideways too, so the poor beggar walking behind them gets a faceful!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Really? I am surprised at that.

I am only going on people I see in the street who blow it up in the air Percy, in fact they blow it up, down, and sideways too, so the poor beggar walking behind them gets a faceful!
It does depend on how you exhale, obviously, but, looking into the physical chemistry of the liquids used, the vapour is, basically, heavier than air so it tends to sink more quickly. Which ciggy smoke, that's about the same density as fresh air so it mixes far more easily and stays up in the air for longer.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 05:33 PM

Hi

The house was freshly decorated when I moved in, various shades of grey and white woodwork.

It looked great, but sadly did not last.

Now redoing it in Wickes Ghost White, washable and scrubbable and a water based acrylic white polyurethane for the woodwork.
Neither are cheap but should last me out.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 05:43 PM

At home we decorate only when it begins to look tatty, we did the bedroom over Easter and then the kitchen was done prior to our new kitchen being installed.
At work however it’s a different story, in the year since I’ve been there I’ve done 13 bedrooms, most of the downstairs and upstairs corridors, the visitor w/c and two residents W/c,s, an upstairs shower room, and have just finished touching up one of the dining rooms which involved painting the bottom and top half of the room, on Monday I’m about to start the staff room, oh, I nearly forgot the garden table and six chairs plus two benches and some railings I did in the summer, funny thing is though, it’s just had planning permission approved so it’ll get extended and knocked about a bit, although,when that is no one knows yet...good job I like painting though,
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
At home we decorate only when it begins to look tatty, we did the bedroom over Easter and then the kitchen was done prior to our new kitchen being installed.
At work however it’s a different story, in the year since I’ve been there I’ve done 13 bedrooms, most of the downstairs and upstairs corridors, the visitor w/c and two residents W/c,s, an upstairs shower room, and have just finished touching up one of the dining rooms which involved painting the bottom and top half of the room, on Monday I’m about to start the staff room, oh, I nearly forgot the garden table and six chairs plus two benches and some railings I did in the summer, funny thing is though, it’s just had planning permission approved so it’ll get extended and knocked about a bit, although,when that is no one knows yet...good job I like painting though,
I can relate to that Primus, I used to maintain a care home and the jobs never stopped...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 07:18 PM

We decorated our dining room, wallpapering and painting, last July during the lockdown period. It wasn't planned, we wanted to do something and I suggested decorating, much to Mr Mag's dismay he agreed with me! We couldn't have picked a hotter time to do it, the temperatures were over 30ºC and it was hard going.

I learnt one lesson though, that will be my last decorating!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top