Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 07:45 PM

Agapanthus

My daughter sent me this photo taken today of her Agapanthus with a bud on it!

Surely that must be a first at this time of the year, I wonder if it's our mild 'winter' climate that could have caused it

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 07:49 PM

Re: Agapanthus

That looks very healthy. Does it need frost protection?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 07:58 PM

I'm not sure LD, Mups is the one who could probably answer that. I have an agapanthus too but have never protected it during the winter and it has always survived and flowered the following year.

Thinking about it though, we are talking about blooming in November/December so it would probably be risky to just leave it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm not sure LD, Mups is the one who could probably answer that. I have an agapanthus too but have never protected it during the winter and it has always survived and flowered the following year.

Thinking about it though, we are talking about blooming in November/December so it would probably be risky to just leave it.
Yes maybe. I was thinking that it might kill the buds off but I'm no expert. Mups is the one.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 08:44 PM

This is incredible

I have two and they are now all yellow with big seed heads .
I do protect them on winter with bubble wrap around the pots and i have just put the. Under cover as I think there will be a frost tonight
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-11-2020, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This is incredible

I have two and they are now all yellow with big seed heads .
I do protect them on winter with bubble wrap around the pots and i have just put the. Under cover as I think there will be a frost tonight

It definitely feels cold enough tonight.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 05:30 AM

They call them Star of Bethlehem here because they flower at Christmas. However very few on public display ever do because the seeds are so prolific people chop the heads off before they get to flower.

They grow like a weed and escape civilisation to become a pest specie.

I don't like them (but then I don't like roses either)
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
They call them Star of Bethlehem here because they flower at Christmas. However very few on public display ever do because the seeds are so prolific people chop the heads off before they get to flower.

They grow like a weed and escape civilisation to become a pest specie.

I don't like them (but then I don't like roses either)
You grumpy old bugger Brucy ??
How can you dislike a plant???

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

It depends Mags.
Some are evergreen, and some are decidious, I believe it's the deciduous that are more hardy. When these leaves turn yellow and slimy I chop them off and put a 3 or 4" thick layer of bark chippings over the crown to protect the roots from freezing that are nearest the surface.

I haven't got any in the ground at all.
All mine are in tubs and so haven't got as much soil protection as ones in the ground have.
I have to bubble-wrap all the tubs to protect the roots that go deep down inside the pots. I get a wide enough bubble-wrap to completely cover the depth of pot plus half way up the plant greenery as well.
If we have severe and extended frosts, I will stick some of those bell cloches on the tops overnight too.

Maybe I fuss them too much, but I don't want to lose them.

That's a lovely big bud on yours, and what a surprise this late. I have got one white one with two flowers still on it too.

Love this man's huge selection of Agapanthus.

https://somethingforthegarden.co.uk/...ry/agapanthus/
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

26-11-2020, 04:04 PM

Thanks Mups, hers has been in the ground for years ...... and it flowered in the summer as well. I have told her to try and wrap it with something to protect the bud. She already has bark chipping around the base.

Thanks for your info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top