Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 10:34 AM

M&S Clothes Sales Fail Again

I'm not surprised that M&S continue to fail to hit the mark they once had on clothing and textile sales - the quality is so poor but the prices don't generally reflect this. I personally believe they shot themselves in the foot when they moved manufacturing to third world countries who are not always renowned for quality products.

M&S are trying, yet again, to use marketing to sell their products but shouldn't they just go back to what they used to do: sell quality products at reasonable prices? Isn't that what made them so popular in the first place? Why does their management team fail to recognise this?

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/mar...071833460.html
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Re: M&S Clothes Sales Fail Again

Perhaps it's just me but having looked at their latest collection I thought it suitable for over 70's possibly but for younger women ? Well not for anyone I know.

Actually even the over 70's I know don't dress quite like M&S want them to .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 11:29 AM

I think M & S lost there way with clothes sales long ago by trying to cater for the young and trendy market when this age group already have plenty of other options to choose from and wouldn't be seen dead in a M&S label anyway.
They would be advised to cater to an older age group.

A few years ago I wanted a cotton Tee shirt nightdress, M&S sold one with an Owl on the front which would have suited me fine but it was really short. I like my nightdresses calf length and at least covering my bum. I was told there was no demand for the longer ones. Why? We don't all want to walk around with our bottoms showing.

At one point M&S stopped doing cotton knickers that came up to the waist. I don't want skimpy bits of things but proper knickers and I wrote to M&S and complained bitterly and they did start to produce them again.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 11:44 AM

I can't say that I ever liked M&S clothing, it always looked so dull and boring, I also think it has always been very overpriced. I'm probably in the minority but M&S is not somewhere I would go to buy clothes.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 02:00 PM

I agree, but what they did make always used to last. I always liked C&A. I think M&S are trying to make older women dress "younger" those fashions don't always suit larger ladies. I like tops which cover me bum! They used to be comfy but stylish & you knew that if you bought something you liked you could go back a few years later & get the same thing! Navy trousers for instance. You can only get those awful boot cut things now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 02:06 PM

C&A were far better and had something for most people I think. M&S always seemed so snooty and has been said very frumpy.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 04:04 PM

Sheila worked for M&S for a long time and gets 20% off all purchases but still gets most of her clothes from Bon Marche.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I agree, but what they did make always used to last. I think M&S are trying to make older women dress "younger" those fashions don't always suit larger ladies. I like tops which cover me bum! They used to be comfy but stylish & you knew that if you bought something you liked you could go back a few years later & get the same thing! Navy trousers for instance. You can only get those awful boot cut things now.
Thank you I thought it was only me that thought this about M & S.

I used to be able to go into M & S and find something straight away now I spend most of my time trying to find something that doesent look too young, the right size then find I have to go and order it on line to be delivered.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top