Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 07:14 PM

Hallelujah!

After much deliberation, we have decided to cancel our TV licence with effect from the end of tomorrow.

Needless to say, the TV Licensing web site makes it as difficult as possible to do this. I was hoping to find a cancellation form, but nothing, so tried to contact them online via email or their chat line.
Again, unsuccessful; neither worked properly. The only other option was to telephone.
Expecting a long wait, I was pleasantly surprised to get through within a few minutes, though they insisted on speaking to Marge, as it's in her name.

I cancelled my direct debit with my bank (yes, I pay for it!), and all done now.

No more subsidising the politically biased BBC!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 07:22 PM

Re: Hallelujah!

Presumably, you can still watch BBC TV output on, say, TV, PC or phone, though .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Presumably, you can still watch BBC TV output on, say, TV, PC or phone, though .....
No, apparently without a licence we may not watch either any live BBC output or any catch-up BBC programmes on BBC i-player.

That is of absolutely no concern to us, though, as we haven't watched anything on any BBC channels for quite some time now and have absolutely no intention of doing so either.

We are, however, presently watching all of the Downton Abbey series (a BBC production!) using our Amazon Firestick!

The only TV programme we watch regularly now is Coronation Street (don't laugh!), but this is available immediately after transmission on ITV Hub.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 07:35 PM

If Sky, Virgin ect can give you channels and remove them, then surely they can block the BBC Channels so you don't receive them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No, apparently without a licence we may not watch either any live BBC output or any catch-up BBC programmes on BBC i-player.

I said "can" (i.e. no blocking mechanism activated) ..... unless you fear the dreaded TV detector van:

zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 07:50 PM

Search YouTube for 'Cancelling TY Licence

There are several videos on how to deal with the letters and investigators that you will get
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 07:56 PM

Those crafty so-and-so's at TV Licensing actually had the law changed when it was realised people could watch TV programmes on all kinds of devices without a licence. I wouldn't mind paying quite as much as I do if there were any reasonable programmes on BBC, or any other terrestrial channel come to that, on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. I feel sure it's felt that everyone goes out those days and evenings so that allows rubbish to be put on.

I am very tempted to stop paying the licence too, it's a complete waste of money I reckon.

They have it all sewn up though according to their link below:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-...w-you-watch-it
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-06-2020, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
If Sky, Virgin ect can give you channels and remove them, then surely they can block the BBC Channels so you don't receive them.
Oh, they can block them all they want!
Unfortunately, you're not allowed to watch ANY live TV without a TV licence!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

29-06-2020, 08:06 PM

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-...penalties-top5

How we can detect if you’re covered by a TV Licence

National database

We have a database of approximately 31 million licensed and unlicensed addresses. This tells us if your address has a TV Licence.

Visiting officers

All our visiting officers have access to this database. This means they can check if you have a licence or not.

If you tell us that you do not need a TV Licence, our officers may still visit you to confirm this.

Detector vans

We also have a fleet of detector vans that can detect the use of TV receiving equipment at specifically targeted addresses within minutes.
So, it's still the old-fashioned way .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-06-2020, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I said "can" (i.e. no blocking mechanism activated) ..... unless you fear the dreaded TV detector van:

Yes, of course!

I don't really fear the dreaded TV detector vans because, apparently, they don't actually exist.

The 'enforcers' can, of course, come to our door to investigate at any time. I should be happy to allow them in...
providing they have a court order with them!

Actually, although I'd be happy to deny them entry, if they did come with an order they wouldn't find anything as I'll remove all aerial cables from everything.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top