Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:25 PM

Re: O Dear

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
It was worse in 1947 ....
It was bloomin' awful in Manchester. We only had one fire and coal was desperately short especially towards the end. Abandoned houses were looted for anything that could be burned.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
We've fueled up for winter. We always do by the end of September. Might get a bit of bird food though. Suet and mealworms are an important source of calories for them along with the usual bird mixes.

I do hope there's not much snow though. For some reason it depresses me most awfully and I do mean depresses me.

At school we had to write a "composition" about snow having read about "the little bulbs snoozing under the blanket" and all that guff.

I wrote how I felt about the desolation and feeling of hopelessness that I got seeing the land laid out like a corpse - and more on the same lines.

I was only nine but got two strokes of the cane because I didn't write what was expected yet it was and still is how I feel with snow on the ground.l
What insight you had at the age of nine and how wicked to have received the cane for describing how you felt .
I grew up in an area where snowbound winters were the accepted thing ,probably enjoying it but these days I'm fearful of snow arriving . I don't drive so worrying about if I'm not going to be able to get out and if I do hoping I' m not going to fall is my concern these days .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
It was worse in 1947 ....
Aye, an' rationing were still on, too .....
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 11:51 PM

For various reasons, I remember the winter of 1963 more than any other. Being young I suppose such things stand out.
Parafin heaters , burst water tanks, neighbours banded together to clear the roads of snow whilst being fed hot toddies , wellington boots and 3 pairs of socks (still bloody freezing feet), school macs of gabardine that weren't warm at all .
How cold is cold though ? Reading historical accounts of various periods , I was surprised to know the River Mersey froze over in the 1600's and the people could walk from one side to the other.. 3 miles appox.
Do you think they suffered with cold more ? They did wear fur and other natural fibres, which would have helped, but I bet their homes were dripping with damp and condensation, smoke from the fires and goodness knows what else.

Loads of berries on the holly this year, and I've got a few berries on my forsythia. That is very confusing and something I have never heard of or seen before. They look like rowan berries but definitely attached to the forsythia.
The world's going mad !
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I think there are a couple of tin trays in this picture from Yorkshire in 1963:

I'm the one on the right...on all fours
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 07:15 AM

I'll watch it on All 4 later.
Ethel
England
Ethel is female  Ethel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 08:32 AM

No no no not snow my village is a nightmare in snow it never get’s gritted. We will be stuck in doors. Hope they got it wrong.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top