Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 02:50 PM

Re: Preparing for winter

Originally Posted by bratti ->
oh yeah. Garden hoses.
Thanks longdogs
Solitaryman
New Member!
The UK
Solitaryman is male 

06-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you make any particular preparations for winter each year, ot just take it as it comes?

I always have my boiler serviced, he is coming beginning of December this year.
Do others have their boilers serviced every year, or is it just a waste of money do you think?

My car has just been fully serviced and it's MOT as well, and I shall get a couple of front tyres replaced incase we get snow, as the tread on these is not as good as it could be.

I must admit I don't do a lot else, not unless there is a forecast predicting really bad weather on the way, then I will nip out and make sure I have extra supplies in for myself and the dogs as well.

Has anyone had their heating on yet?
Given, what this coming winter gonna be: winter tyres, emergency bag in the car with snacks, warmers and stuff.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Oh and there's the pond of course. At best a small pond heater or at least a tennis ball or something that will float around preventing ice from forming over the whole pond. With a small hole in the ice, the fish should be okay.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

06-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Solitaryman ->
Given, what this coming winter gonna be: winter tyres, emergency bag in the car with snacks, warmers and stuff.
I like the idea of snacks Solitaryman but not sure if they would last till winter in my car.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 03:00 PM

My wife and I were talking about Winter after reading this item and how there's a possibility of it being a bit of a sod and we've decided to get a few odds and sods in for the old bat that a few of us have sorta adopted.

She's housebound and her family seem to have abandoned her so we'll get together and decide what we should get and who should get it just in case.

Most important for her will be a few cans of Guinness!

Might be an idea for others to follow?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Central heating was replaced completely two years' ago, new boiler, radiators and pipework. It is serviced every first week of September to comply with seven-year Worcester-Bosch warranty. It's already been on a couple of times, just in the late evenings though. There's a full tank of heating oil so that should last until the end of January or longer, depending on the type of winter we have. If more is required, one phone call and the tanker is here in two or three days.

The double glazing was replaced five years' ago, all windows and doors. The old installation was very draughty due to the rubber seals having deteriorated since new, whenever century that was. I also had the lofts insulated to current standards and cavity wall insulation. All that made the house much cosier.

Food cupboard, fridge and freezer are kept full most of the time anyway but should very cold weather be forecast then I am out to stock up before it's too bad, that ensures there's enough food in total for two weeks or more.

My car is regularly serviced every year anyway and now does very little mileage, down from 12,000 miles a year to 4,000. Two new front tyres are required before winter, it gets quite bad out here 'in the rural sticks' when it does snow or there is frost and ice.

Winter clothes? Clothes are clothes to me, my only contribution to winter when it is really cold are additional clothes like jumpers. The additional winter-weight duvet is generally in use as soon as it gets really cold, not before though.

That's about it, other than of course to say roll on spring 2020!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

06-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
My wife and I were talking about Winter after reading this item and how there's a possibility of it being a bit of a sod and we've decided to get a few odds and sods in for the old bat that a few of us have sorta adopted.

She's housebound and her family seem to have abandoned her so we'll get together and decide what we should get and who should get it just in case.

Stick the heating on, perhaps light a nice fire in the living room, some candles, make some nice hot chocolate and sit her by the window.

If you are feeling benevolent, you could even let her in.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Stick the heating on, perhaps light a nice fire in the living room, some candles, make some nice hot chocolate and sit her by the window.

If you are feeling benevolent, you could even let her in.
The old girl's fiercely independent and I think a bit agoraphobic, that or doesn't like people. It was only after she had a stroke that she even allowed a couple of folk inside her home which it turned out to be something of her personal sanctum sanctorum. Even now visiting her is running the gauntlet of her potential wrath.

So making nice cups of hot chocolate and the like might suite most folk but for Ethel putting a couple of cans of Guinness within easy reach is much more appreciated.

Between us we'll subtly look after her through the winter. She won't go short or be cold.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

A torch and some batteries might come in handy
Solitaryman
New Member!
The UK
Solitaryman is male 

06-10-2019, 03:39 PM

They are called: hothands hand warmers & hothands foot warmers. Last year at work heating was playing up, and they let us make it through the day. Much better quality than they used to be and last very long. I’ll get some more for this season.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top