Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 02:26 PM

Re: MoT

My Micra, bought new in March 2003, the new design, has done me well for 17 years. The MOT is due next month. Fingers crossed it will be ok. Now I am in a new town I need to find a reputable place, as I usually have it serviced at the same time.

I worry, every year!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 04:28 PM

Jazzi, ask your neighbours and/or colleagues for a recommendation. That's how I found the guy I use for our car servicing/MoTs.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 12:33 PM

I don't pay any road tax on my old Mondeo, that's probably why it got clamped.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I don't pay any road tax on my old Mondeo, that's probably why it got clamped.
'Norty, norty' as my granddaughters used to say when they were younger!

I guess getting clamped saves on fuel costs though?
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
My Micra, bought new in March 2003, the new design, has done me well for 17 years. The MOT is due next month. Fingers crossed it will be ok. Now I am in a new town I need to find a reputable place, as I usually have it serviced at the same time.

I worry, every year!

Have a look here

https://good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/

These people have good reviews

http://www.carlwigg-autoservices.com/
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 10:24 PM

Bloody failed, didn’t it? I have today paid a deposit and done paperwork to get a 2014 Nissan Juke auto. I had to make a decision, once I’d spotted the Juke the day after because I liked it. The repairs could well have worked out too expensive, as the major was emissions, and there were 7 other advisories.

It wasn’t what I wanted to hear, when in the middle of buying a house, especially as the budget left was for buying stuff for it. Getting another car wasn’t part of the short term plan, but I need transport! Simple as.

At least when I come to move stuff from this rental to the new one, I will get more in the Juke than the Micra.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 10:34 PM

Emmissions may only need recalibrating/retune the engine or part exhaust replacement. I would have asked for a more detailed explaination. advisorys are just that and mean nothing.
We were told our Nissan xtrail needed re tracking, took it to another garage and they said nothing wrong,which I didn't think so, no uneven tyre wear.

You have to watch out for garage scammers doing nothing and charging for it even main francished garages are at it .

put a spot of paint on a wheel nut and the hub to cover both. If the wheel has been removed to check brake caliper shoes the paint dot will have broken.
You can do the same on other parts that should be checked as well.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

08-02-2020, 08:46 AM

It was booked in for diagnostic on Monday but I thought...heck, it could work out costly. The advisories were brakes (pads and discs), a ball joint, cracked tyre, and others. Like I said, 7 in all.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:11 PM

Groan, time for the old Girl’s MOT again this afternoon. Not looking forward to it. Two years ago we exchanged our trusty 3-year-old Hyundai Tucson for a used 3-year old Ford Focus Estate from a Ford dealership because it was a beauty, in pristine condition with very low mileage and one owner. Also, it was far easier for me to get into and out of, and plenty of room in the back for the pooches.

In all the years we have had a car, we have never had a failed MOT, as again, like most of us, we have always done our best to look after our vehicles with regular servicing and necessary repairs when needed,

However, last year when the Ford was booked into a well-known national MOT centre on the afternoon prior to the MOT being due, it actually failed its MOT!! When my open-mouthed significant half requested to know what was wrong with it,(we had never had a moment’s trouble since buying it) he was informed that it needed new brake pads, new brake discs all around, plus a new suspension coil. Total bill £600 plus with everything included.

And to make matters worse, because the new MOT was actually due the following day, there was no way under present law that we could drive it away to get a second opinion because the new law says that if the MOT date is up and the failed points deem the vehicle a danger to drive, the only way we could take the car away was on a low-loader!! Fair enough,we would not want to drive a dangerous car anyway. So instead of driving our car home with us as we fully expected, we had to catch a bus while they went ahead with the repairs before giving it a pass.

We did ask the MOT centre why all these faults occured as we didn’t use the car very much, (we also have a campervan which we use all through the summer months) We explained that the car is only used locally and to drive to and from our holiday destination in the UK once a year, so we couldn't understand how all the brake discs and pads should have deteriorated like that, (Neither of us knows anything about the suspension)
The mechanic said that it can happen even if the car is standing still and hardly used! which puzzles us to this day. (perhaps someone knowledgable on here can confirm that is so).

Anyway, we are more prepared this year. We have the car booked in for today, two weeks before the MOT is due, so if it fails, Grrr, unless a dangerous fault, we can at least drive it away and have two weeks to put faults right (2nd opinion) before a further full MOT is carried out.We were thinking of first putting her through a Pre-MOT but the only person who does this locally carries out the pre-MOT and then drives it to a local MOT Centre for repairs required. So, being the cynical pair we are,and not trusting him to be in cahoots with the repair garage, have decided to just go ahead with the full MOT and hope for the best.

Hopefully, she will sail though it but still nervous though. We love our car, she is still pristine, always well looked after but never having experienced a failed MOT before, I still can't help being suspicious of some of these 'repairs' being a ploy by the garage/MOT centre to try and get more money out of customers for the repair jobs.

I know this is perhaps an unfair and unwarranted accusation but how do we know whom we can trust? If it fails this time, we will get the necessary repairs done once again to get her MOT pass, but she will have to go. At least the repairs carried out last year on the MOT still have their warranty, and we are using a different MOT centre this time, so we will know one way or another if the new MOT centre picks out the same fault(s). Sigh, when did I become so cynical?

Does anyone else get nervous when their MOT is due?,
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:25 PM

Sorry Percy, just noticed this thread after I posted mine regarding MOT due.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top