Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:41 AM

Re: I think i just had a Sparrowhawk in the tree near my window

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I always put bird food in the hedge and under a bush for the small birds and out in the open for the many rooks jackdaws and pigeons.
There are sparrow hawks here and the little birds don’t like to go far from the safety of the hedges .
I think the male of thr species is smaller ?
They are so fast I have seen one attack a pigeon poor thing . I know it’s nature
But would rather not see it

Me too Muddy.... I am a meat eater but still wouldn't want to watch a cow, lamb or pig be slaughtered.... so maybe we are all hypocrites like Glanny!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:59 AM

I would i theory like to be a vegetarian and if I lived alone would probably be one .Actually I would probably never cook at all .
I don’t eat pork I cannot bear to think of the pig the fifth most Intelligent animal on the planet going to slaughter .
I do eat other meat so I am a hypocrite too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 09:00 AM

Hi Twink sparrow hawks have yellow legs and piercing yellow eyes. I have had one on the fence in the garden and its gaze made me shudder .
I have difficulty distinguishing birds from a distance these days unless their identification is obvious, my eyesight isn't what it was.

The Woodland Trust website is great for identifying birds....
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/tre...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I took my recently vacated nest box down to clean it out yesterday and glad I did, there was a dead fledgeling in there It might have put other birds off nesting.

Last week my son saw a large bird of prey pursuing a smaller bird and watched in fascination as the large bird was 'mobbed' and chased off by a number of smaller birds .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Twink sparrow hawks have yellow legs and piercing yellow eyes. I have had one on the fence in the garden and its gaze made me shudder .
I have difficulty distinguishing birds from a distance these days unless their identification is obvious, my eyesight isn't what it was.

The Woodland Trust website is great for identifying birds....
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/tre...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I took my recently vacated nest box down to clean it out yesterday and glad I did, there was a dead fledgeling in there It might have put other birds off nesting.

Last week my son saw a large bird of prey pursuing a smaller bird and watched in fascination as the large bird was 'mobbed' and chased off by a number of smaller birds .
That is interesting Meg!

I have quite a few buzzards here & have noticed that the much smaller Crows harass them in flight. I was told that they do this to make the buzzard vomit so they can eat the regurgitated food.
I have learned that birds are not the cute little creatures we think they are most of the time!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top