Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 08:34 PM

Re: Hallelujah!

Originally Posted by jbr ->
and when they do i'll likely be dressed in my usual 'bag of s*** tied up in the middle' outfit, but their suits will have no impact on me!
Originally Posted by judd ->
so you're like me then when i answer the door. A pound of shit squeezed into a half-pound bag.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What about radio JBR? Can you legally listen to stations other than anything BBC?

Well done btw.
Oh yes. Radio is quite acceptable. I don't think they bother with radio licences these days either.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 10:20 PM

Edit - error!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Edit - error!
Yes, I managed to see it before you edited it.
I'm pretty sure that is not legally permissible, even if running on a battery.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 02:01 AM

Do I need a TV licence?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ut.../#needtoknow-3
You used to need a TV licence merely for having a telly, but now those who only watch certain channels on catch-up can get away without paying the £157.50 annual fee. If you watch BBC iPlayer, you'll need a licence, but you won't for other channels' catch-up services. Confused? Don't be. This full guide will take you through whether you should be paying or not.
The bad news (for me):

• You don't need a licence for watching on-demand content online (apart from on BBC iPlayer)
  • You need a licence to record live TV
I do watch iPlayer content and record live TV several times a week so I'd better pay the licence fee .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 09:08 AM

Just when I'm over 75, the benefit of a free licence is changing. Oh well, just my luck I suppose. There may still be a reduction but perhaps not entirely free anymore. With that uncertainty, I haven't bothered looking into whether I might qualify right now, or for how long I might benefit if I am entitled.

Free, subsidised or paid for, I will be keeping a licence because I'm sure avoiding watching BBC content or not running live TV would be too much hassle. I do a fair bit of channel hopping on Freeview and quite enjoy some of the BBC programmes. BBC4 can have some good ones. Apart from the programmes, I read the BBC is part owner of the technology (masts and stuff) that brings us television. I suppose they are going to want some money for that.

I too think the News could be better but I can always watch other News stations on Freeview and nearly always do. BBC, Sky, Al jezeera, RT... I watch them all on Freeview. I listen to all my radio stations on Freeview too.

I treat the Licence fee as a kind of tax, just another of life's expenses. Worth it for me that's for sure.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Just when I'm over 75, the benefit of a free licence is changing. Oh well, just my luck I suppose. There may still be a reduction but perhaps not entirely free anymore. With that uncertainty, I haven't bothered looking into whether I might qualify right now, or for how long I might benefit if I am entitled.

Free, subsidised or paid for, I will be keeping a licence because I'm sure avoiding watching BBC content or not running live TV would be too much hassle. I do a fair bit of channel hopping on Freeview and quite enjoy some of the BBC programmes. BBC4 can have some good ones. Apart from the programmes, I read the BBC is part owner of the technology (masts and stuff) that brings us television. I suppose they are going to want some money for that.

I too think the News could be better but I can always watch other News stations on Freeview and nearly always do. BBC, Sky, Al jezeera, RT... I watch them all on Freeview. I listen to all my radio stations on Freeview too.

I treat the Licence fee as a kind of tax, just another of life's expenses. Worth it for me that's for sure.
Good post Mart, and mostly true for most of us I would think...
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 09:13 AM

BBC television is pretty awful and definitely getting worse BUT the licence fee is exceptionally good value considering what the BBC delivers apart from TV and that is paid for in part by the TV licence fee.

Not only that but it's far from expensive when compared with licence fees in some other countries. AFAIK Switzerland is highest being just over 400 squid a year!
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 04:02 PM

TV Licensing is a sub-contractor owned by Capita. This is the same lovely company that was so very well liked when contracted to collect the very popular Poll Tax.

Capita also used to own the highly respected and very nice parking company, Parking Eye, who are really nothing like the scammers, rogues, and bloodsuckers our MPs across all parties called them in open parliament.

I had to threaten TV Licensing with court proceedings when they harassed my Lovely Cousin's grandmother after she temporarily moved in with her daughter and son in law to convalesce after illness.
She transferred her licence to her temporary residence when she moved, meaning the (empty) property she owned did not have a licence.

The letters she received were nasty, and of a very threatening and scary nature, especially to a sweet old widow of advancing years.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-06-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
TV Licensing is a sub-contractor owned by Capita. This is the same lovely company that was so very well liked when contracted to collect the very popular Poll Tax.

Capita also used to own the highly respected and very nice parking company, Parking Eye, who are really nothing like the scammers, rogues, and bloodsuckers our MPs across all parties called them in open parliament.

I had to threaten TV Licensing with court proceedings when they harassed my Lovely Cousin's grandmother after she temporarily moved in with her daughter and son in law to convalesce after illness.
She transferred her licence to her temporary residence when she moved, meaning the (empty) property she owned did not have a licence.

The letters she received were nasty, and of a very threatening and scary nature, especially to a sweet old widow of advancing years.
Well let them threaten me.

I enjoy putting people straight. I'd also be happy to let them tie themselves in knots and go so far as to taking me to court if I knew I was in the right and, of course, wouldn't be nice enough to point out their mistakes until it was too late!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top