Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 01:14 PM

A Lovely Story

Hi

A 13 year old girl and the Spitfire.

Made my day.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-Britain.html
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 02:39 PM

Re: A Lovely Story

Can't read that it doesn't like my blocker.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Can't read that it doesn't like my blocker.

Hi

Try this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kzx7
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 03:04 PM

I've always said that girls/women should take up engineering and/or science subjects at school, college and university. They are far more talented than they are generally lead to believe.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 03:08 PM

That's very true. Tend to make bloody good engineering managers too.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 03:28 PM

Don't you think that the old style of aeroplanes are better than the modern ones? The Spitfire and the Messerschmitts had a certain grace as they flew through the air. Irrespective of their capacity to kill, they are design classics.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 03:36 PM

I have always liked the old aircraft. I was fortunate to have done a few hours in DH82s commonly known as Tiger Moths.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I have always liked the old aircraft. I was fortunate to have done a few hours in DH82s commonly known as Tiger Moths.
My all time favourite aircraft!
Buzzzer
USA
Buzzzer is male  Buzzzer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 07:54 PM

Amazing story and photos.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 09:21 AM

I saw this on the news yesterday. It's a remarkable story about a remarkable young lady.
It's sad though that she didn't get the recognition she deserved at the time.

Then there was Miss Shilling's Orifice, also known as Miss Tilly's Diaphragm. A small restrictor designed by a Miss Beatrice (Tilly) Shilling to fit in early versions of the Spitfire and Hurricane fuel systems. It prevented the engine from cutting out whilst the aircraft was inverted and stayed in service until permanent modifications could be introduced.

There are some remarkable stories of women during WW2 from munitions workers to resistance fighters to engineers to ferry pilots, many of whom never received any recognition at the time.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top