Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 04:10 PM

Re: Accents & Dialects Can be ard to git?

Originally Posted by Omah ->
When I was in my late teens, I worked on the North Sea gas conversion project in the West Midlands. Almost all of the employees were from the Black Country, particularly Dudley and, specifically, Lower Gornal. My job was to handle paperwork and radio communication for a gang of 7 "converters" based on a 2-ton truck - easy enough for a Warwickshire grammar school boy ..... except that I didn't understand a word that they said, including:

Ah, Lower Gornal. Us Black Country folk say you need a passport and visa to visit Lower Gornal 'cos it's a different country with a completely different language. That aside, growing up in the BC, we always thought that there were 16 different accents and 30-ish dialects between Wolverhampton and Birmingham (neither of which are officially in the Black Country) and they're only 14-15 miles apart.

I have problems understanding thick Aberdonian and Geordie accents and most of the time with those phone calls asking if "I've had an accident recently".
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 04:46 PM

I am told by Mrs LD that after I have visited my family, my accent reverts back to good old East London cockney for a few hours as opposed to the Queen's English wot I normly speak.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 05:28 PM

Don't yer much proper debon now,a lad at work who was from Poland first went to London after coming over here,learnt English,then when he came down here working in a bar,he said he had to learn it all again.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Thee casn't tell I young 'un!

I met someone from Burnley and couldn't understand a word he said!
I don't watch Lorraine Kelly because I don't understand her either!

Of courze we'em speakin' prapper in Zummerzet s'know.
Yer Tess, 'ow bis?

Oim loikin theese prapper Brizzle/ zummerzet.

Sbin a while since Oive yerd a nice wes country burr...s'mint !
Theese cassnt beat it.

Moi work mates takes the piss out of oi , but Oi oudn't change it.

It's funny living here in Scotland mind, Ive had to learn dozens of new words to understand the locals..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Yer Tess, 'ow bis?

Theese cassnt beat it.

It's funny living here in Scotland mind, Ive had to learn dozens of new words to understand the locals..
Now, now Moscow, we Bristolians are nowhere near as bad as that
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I am told by Mrs LD that after I have visited my family, my accent reverts back to good old East London cockney for a few hours as opposed to the Queen's English wot I normly speak.
Fate moi oon favor. Fort you woz posh.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
She's not English, she's German.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
She's not English, she's German.
You're polymath studies will clarify this for me. I was told that the origin of the "Queen's English" actually originates from a region around Glasgow??? How true is this?
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Yer Tess, 'ow bis?

Theese cassnt beat it.

Wats gwain on yer.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Don't yer much proper debon now,a lad at work who was from Poland first went to London after coming over here,learnt English,then when he came down here working in a bar,he said he had to learn it all again.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top