Join for free
Page 15 of 21 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 05:15 PM

Re: Is Boris the One Blinking First?

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Translation: brexiters must be able to lap up the dished narrative as a win for boris.

And why wouldn't the EU cooperate in that? Giving boris the opportunity to sell the withdrawal agreement handed the EU the conditions they wanted and were refused by theresa may. For the EU the endresult is what counts, not the posturing and rethoric. (Macron might be the exception to the rule )
Where is Barnier?
Not here "negotiating" - and he won't be until things change and the EU submits.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Where is Barnier?
Not here "negotiating" - and he won't be until things change and the EU submits.
That's exactly what I pointed out. In these terms it must be spinned for you, and others.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
That's exactly what I pointed out. In these terms it must be spinned for you, and others.
Oh dear, poor you (and poor EU).
Yet again you are proven wrong.

This is from Downing Street in the past half-hour - so as current as you can get:

"The UK has noted the EU’s proposal to genuinely intensify talks, which is what would be expected at this stage in a negotiation.

"However, the UK continues to believe there is no basis to resume talks unless there is a fundamental change of approach from the EU.

"This means an EU approach consistent with trying to find an agreement between sovereign equals and with acceptance that movement needs to come from the EU side as well as the UK. The two teams agreed to remain in close touch.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1159227.html

There's no need to put any "spin" on that, it is straightforward.
The EU must alter its' stance and accept the UK's independence before talks continue, or no more talks.
The two sides will "keep in touch" which means basically we await their move.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

20-10-2020, 07:11 PM

Here's the stance today:
' “Lord Frost and Michel Barnier had a constructive discussion. The situation remained as yesterday, and they will remain in contact,” a spokesman from Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office said.'

In other words, no the EU won't acknowledge our independent status but we'll keep lines open to see if they change their mind.

As a bit of a reminder to Boris of what the future will hold if he caves in, Nigel Farages has said this:
" If he oversees anything that looks remotely like a botched Brexit deal, his support around the country will fold like a cheap suit."
"If the government does decide to take the easy way out by opting to do a deal based on the Withdrawal Agreement, I know that many of my excellent colleagues in the Brexit Party will be prepared to re-start the fight. "

Everybody knows how effective a campaigner this bloke is, so IMHO if the Brexit party were to fight because of a botched Brexit effort by Boris there is no doubt whatsoever that they would have a significant impact, as well as rellegating the Tories from getting anywhere near a position of power for decades to come.

This will I hope be enough to persuade Boris to continue as is and not be persuaded either by EU or by our own objecters.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 07:37 PM

The only reason UK has got this far, as an MEP for 20 years he knows all the trickery.

“I’m going to keep a very close watching brief on all of this,” Farage continued. “I’ll praise the prime minister from the rooftops if it’s going well, and I’ll sound the bell of alarm if it’s not.”
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Here's the stance today:
' “Lord Frost and Michel Barnier had a constructive discussion. The situation remained as yesterday, and they will remain in contact,” a spokesman from Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office said.'

In other words, no the EU won't acknowledge our independent status but we'll keep lines open to see if they change their mind.

As a bit of a reminder to Boris of what the future will hold if he caves in, Nigel Farages has said this:
" If he oversees anything that looks remotely like a botched Brexit deal, his support around the country will fold like a cheap suit."
"If the government does decide to take the easy way out by opting to do a deal based on the Withdrawal Agreement, I know that many of my excellent colleagues in the Brexit Party will be prepared to re-start the fight. "

Everybody knows how effective a campaigner this bloke is, so IMHO if the Brexit party were to fight because of a botched Brexit effort by Boris there is no doubt whatsoever that they would have a significant impact, as well as rellegating the Tories from getting anywhere near a position of power for decades to come.

This will I hope be enough to persuade Boris to continue as is and not be persuaded either by EU or by our own objecters.
I agree. Many of us have stated that if Boris does let us down at the last minute, our votes will not go to the Conservative party.

I have voted Conservative throughout my life. On every occasion except for once, when I voted for UKIP (when Nigel was the leader).

If it proves necessary, I shall vote for the Brexit Party or, assuming we have actually left the EU as promised, the Reform Party if it is still necessary to put certain things right - like the dissolution of the House of Lords, for example!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 08:50 PM

If the Conservatives make a mess of Brexit then they are unlikely to govern for a very long time...
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
If the Conservatives make a mess of Brexit then they are unlikely to govern for a very long time...

Farage will be the next prime minister
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Farage will be the next prime minister
I fear his only legacy will be the farage garage.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

20-10-2020, 09:48 PM

Only if the we ditch the broken and outdated system that does not accurately represent the views of voters.

Voting is irrelevant because the established two always win.

Page 15 of 21 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top