Join for free
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 11 12 13
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 07:30 PM

Re: EU warns UK of cheap food after brexit!!

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Mein Deutsch ist nicht schlecht, y mi español tampoco, ni mon français maar mijn Nederlands is erg roestig.

[ My German isn't bad, my Spanish either, nor my French but my Dutch is rusty ]

Over these past few years especially and with my memory seeming to get worse as I get older (but I'm not even 60 yet!) I've probably forgotten more German, Spanish & French than I've retained and Dutch was never my strongest (but not too bad because of Afrikaans in my younger years).

Now my son is at secondary school I'm enjoying helping him with his Spanish studies and I had a great time in hospital surprising two Spanish nurses!

I once had a great time at a friend's wedding in Germany (a REME bod ) sitting at a huge table interpreting between English, French, German and Italian for the relatives of both him and his German bride.
What was unusual is that I don't really speak Italian, but it seems that Latin still has so many similarities so it somehow worked.

I spent 17 years on and off in Basel. I never got very far with German or Swiss,.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I spent 17 years on and off in Basel. I never got very far with German or Swiss,.
Languages are in my blood (in a manner of speaking, as I learned from my family tree).

I've been lucky enough to see a bit of the world already & the plan is to carry on once I officially retire, so Switzerland is on the list because I'd love to see it.
But it's a long list and I don't want just a few days here & there, I want to go for weeks and really see wherever I'm visiting.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 09:46 PM

He should be concentrating on his German and practising that funny walk with clogs on
As you know in surinam we all use several languages. German is my fourth language. English 5th.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 09:47 PM

Have you tried jodeling? (As you are the singer in a r&r band)
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Have you tried jodeling? (As you are the singer in a r&r band)
My South African schooling saw me singing Frere Jacques in four languages before the age of eleven; English, French, Afrikaans and German.
That education stood me in good stead when I returned to the UK and attended grammar school so much that I took O levels at the age of 15 rather than the customary sixteen.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

22-10-2020, 06:53 PM

"New rules to guarantee the authenticity and origin of traditional British foods, such as Stilton cheese and Melton Mowbray pork pies after the end of the UK’s Brexit transition period, were set out by the government on Thursday."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...KBN2771TJ?il=0

Another step forward.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2020, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
"New rules to guarantee the authenticity and origin of traditional British foods, such as Stilton cheese and Melton Mowbray pork pies after the end of the UK’s Brexit transition period, were set out by the government on Thursday."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...KBN2771TJ?il=0

Another step forward.
Very wise. Surely by now, everyone must know that the EU are never to be trusted.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 04:05 PM

Excellent. Let's hope it's in place and ready to go on Jan 1st 2021.

Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 11 12 13

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top