Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:49 AM

Re: Are You Common If You Hang Your Washing Out On A Washing Line?

Can't beat a good breeze blowing through the washing out on the line. I find it smells when it's dried inside, the dryer can shrink things too, so I only finish stuff off in it if I really have to.
Long live the Washing Ropes.......Common or not.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:53 AM

I come from Council estate stock, so kecks and Y fronts on balconies was a common occurrence.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:54 AM

I use a tumble dryer but I certainly wouldn't think someone common for hanging out washing. I used to love seeing my sons white nappies blowing in the wind many years ago.

I'd say im the common one for being lazy and taking the easy way out.

Some people are so snobby
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I come from Council estate stock, so kecks and Y fronts on balconies was a common occurrence.
oh yeah you is common alright, fancy hanging yer smalls art for all to see, no shame av thi
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:59 AM

Here's an additional question (sorry Art but it could be relevant);

If you do hang washing out on the line, do you always put it in a certain order? My neighbour puts tons of washing out every day but I have noticed that the nappies go this end but the 'unmentionables' go right at the far end of the garden - almost out of sight.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-10-2020, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
oh yeah you is common alright, fancy hanging yer smalls art for all to see, no shame av thi

As a teenager, I used to hang my trainers out of the window too (to air them off a little bit)
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 11:01 AM

I had a rotor washing thingy, but I changed it for a bird feeder. Most washing gets tumbled, that which can't be, gets hung in front of the warm air vents that heat the house in Winter, in Summer I have a portable drier that I put on the patio if I need it.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I was talking to someone and telling him how l loved to hang my washing out and see it blowing in the wind.
He told me his late wife would never have a washing line and hang washing out as it was common! She dried all her washing in the tumble drier.

I couldn’t believe what he was saying as l had never heard such a thing before but on googling it... some do deem it as ‘common’ to have a washing line!

Have you ever heard such a thing and what are your thoughts on this?
Good grief! I must be common as muck then. I hang out EVERYTHING on my washing line and rotary dryer.
Sheets, Towels, Pillowcases, Duvets and underwear all go on the line, any item of clothing goes on the Rotary dryer with each item on a hanger, (sometimes with the aid of clothes pegs). Does that make me posher?

The only time the tumbledryer goes on is if it is raining or winter itself. There is nothing in the world that compares with the lovely fresh air smell of clothes that have been dried outside. So thankyou, call me what you wish, I will continue as countless generations before have, to hang my washing on the line!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-10-2020, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I had a rotor washing thingy, but I changed it for a bird feeder. Most washing gets tumbled, that which can't be, gets hung in front of the warm air vents that heat the house in Winter, in Summer I have a portable drier that I put on the patio if I need it.
Don't you get bird poo all over your sheets?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 12:02 PM

I have a small line, to go with my small garden, and anything left over goes on an airer, out of the wind. But yes, weather permitting I would prefer it outside than in. During winter months I trek to a nearby launderette to use their dryers.

Back at the flat I used to open my French door and have airers outside, but I had railings separating me from the street. Common, yes indeed, but I stopped worrying what people thought of me when I saw others doing it, in the communal garden.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top