Join for free
Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 01:48 PM

Re: Boris puts 20% VAT back on Facemasks and Glovess.

Well said Zaphod and Mups.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
The Government hasn't got a bottomless pit of money. Look at the billions they have given each council to distribute to those in most need? yet everyone is still clamouring for extra money for the childrens meals. Where does it stop?
The school meals funded during hols cost is estimated at a max of £20m. It's a drop in the ocean in the public purse. Paying furlough as a % across the board is what has eaten up all the money. I know people who weren't even working on contracts because there had been a downturn before covid, but were entitled to money because they had earned last year. Those were the rules the Govt applied. That's nuts. No checks and balances and now they don't have 20m for hungry kids.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The school meals funded during hols cost is estimated at a max of £20m. It's a drop in the ocean in the public purse. Paying furlough as a % across the board is what has eaten up all the money. I know people who weren't even working on contracts because there had been a downturn before covid, but were entitled to money because they had earned last year. Those were the rules the Govt applied. That's nuts. No checks and balances and now they don't have 20m for hungry kids.
Hungry because of lousy parents, no other reasons. None at all.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There are many masks and gloves adorning the grass verges of this green and pleasant land, free for those willing to take a risk, to protect fellow discarders.
You can say the same for used condoms adorning trees and meadows across the land...
1. If the gloves are made of natural rubber latex, as are condoms, these will breakdown naturally over the course of a few weeks/months - certainly no more than a year.
2. If the gloves are made of nitrile rubber or polythene then that's a completely different story altogether. 100s of years before they'll have broken down and disappeared.
3. The disposable masks are 3 layer fabrics. The middle layer is polypropylene. Again, it will be 100s of years before that breaks down and disappears.

With regards to the free school meals debacle, I said in the summer and I'll say it again. When the Government announced it would provide vouchers to needy families, I said they were providing a big stick that would be used to beat them with come ALL future school holidays. What has happened? Vouchers are being issued now for this ½ term break and talk is turning to the Christmas break. Then it will be Easter next year.

It's got to stop. The country can't afford it. I don't give a fart, flying or otherwise, about people screaming they can't afford to feed their kids. They CAN if they put their bloody minds to it. (I was on the dole back in the early 1980s and raising 2 children with my then 1st wife. They didn't go without, but my ex and I were on shorter measures.)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Hungry because of lousy parents, no other reasons. None at all.
The reason we look after children's welfare in this country is because it is not the fault of the children if their parents are unable to look after them. There are so many tragic stories out there and the pandemic has added exponentially to that list. £20m is nothing compared with HS2 etc. Why on earth are we still paying for that?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 05:41 PM

The reason we look after children's welfare in this country is because it is not the fault of the children if their parents are unable to look after them. There are so many tragic stories out there and the pandemic has added exponentially to that list. £20m is nothing compared with HS2 etc. Why on earth are we still paying for that?
Unable? Purleese! Unwilling more like. If a sole parent is incapacitated then there are benefits to support them physically as well as financially and if push comes to shove resources exist to take the kid(s) into care.

That £20mil is already being given as tax payer hand outs, probably much more. If more than just teaching a kid has to be provided then garnish the Benefits the parent gets to pay for what they should be doing.

There's an old adage - IF YOU CAN'T FEED 'EM THEN DON'T BREED 'EM.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 05:48 PM

They'll be saying they can't afford a packet of 3 next in that case

(I agree with your "old adage" by the way.)
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

25-10-2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
They'll be saying they can't afford a packet of 3 next in that case

(I agree with your "old adage" by the way.)
Having seen some of the slack jawed knuckle dragging slags and their dirty snotty nosed offspring in Ipswitch and often on schooldays their appearance and smell alone would serve as a very effective contraception in itself.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-10-2020, 06:23 PM

Unable? Purleese! Unwilling more like. If a sole parent is incapacitated then there are benefits to support them physically as well as financially and if push comes to shove resources exist to take the kid(s) into care.

That £20mil is already being given as tax payer hand outs, probably much more. If more than just teaching a kid has to be provided then garnish the Benefits the parent gets to pay for what they should be doing.

You are going back to the parents because you cannot admit it is not the fault of a child if it is born into a dysfunctional family. These are hungry children being treated as political footballs.

When so much money is being wasted on vanity projects they seek to stem a haemorrhage desperately from PPE and hungry children. HS2, bridges to Ireland, why is this not being questioned at this time?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 07:15 PM

You are going back to the parents because you cannot admit it is not the fault of a child if it is born into a dysfunctional family. These are hungry children being treated as political footballs.

When so much money is being wasted on vanity projects they seek to stem a haemorrhage desperately from PPE and hungry children. HS2, bridges to Ireland, why is this not being questioned at this time?
I'm more interested in why the inability of some parents isn't being questioned and resolved?
FWIW I would rather see these parents educated in order to avoid budgeting problems rather than keep throwing unnecessary cash at them.
Cure the cause, not the effects and that way the children will see a benefit for the whole of the rest of their childhood, rather than for an soon-to-be-forgotten meal.

In another thread I detail how much the parents of chidren receive.
It is shocking that they get so much - and then say they can't cope.

It's media trying to turn it into a political football and the gullible that fall for it.
It is a recent trend, sadly, just like the rise in food banks.
Whoever would have imagined it really - that if you offer something for free you will be overwhelmed with demands!

In neither case am I saying that nobody needs these.
Just that the real number in need is almost vanishingly small in reality.

Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top