Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 11:11 AM

Re: Have You Noticed The State Of Lay-bys These Days? They Are Disgusting!

That does it! I will never ever use a lay by ever ever again I am so disgusted I feel a flounce coming on.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	C1FD64CF-2A3E-47B7-9CF3-3DAE08DFAEA0.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	13949  
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
The Keep Britain Tidy campaigns are still in existence summer:

https://www.keepbritaintidy.org/get-...h-spring-clean

I believe it will take a complete change in personal attitudes to dropping / dumping any rubbish, from a sweet wrapper to fridges and mattresses, before there is ever any improvement.

It would also help if council rubbish tips were not moneymaking, we all pay enough extortionate Council Tax for this not to happen but it does and this I believe, contributes to the problems of all kinds of rubbish being dumped.

In answer to the OP – no I haven't seen the appalling state of lay-bys. Not first-hand anyway, only on TV. Now I would never use them. This whole country is getting to where it will soon become one big, filthy lay-by so eventually not that far to look.
You are probably right Baz, but if we return to free use of council tips, then it will just increase our council tax, so we will all be paying to get rid of the rubbish some of these people dump.
With larger items some companies will remove the old item if you buy a new one. It is a good idea but isn't cheap so I suspect anybody with a means of moving the item are more likely to dump it.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
You are probably right Baz, but if we return to free use of council tips, then it will just increase our council tax, so we will all be paying to get rid of the rubbish some of these people dump.
But we're paying councils to clear the fly-tipped stuff anyway, which is more expensive by its very nature. It would be interesting to know the figures in terms of cost of dealing with fly-tipped items versus the amount that authorised sites raise. Wouldn't surprise me if there's not much between them.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
With larger items some companies will remove the old item if you buy a new one. It is a good idea but isn't cheap so I suspect anybody with a means of moving the item are more likely to dump it.
I don't see why increases in Council Tax should happen. Rubbish that is now dumped has to be cleared, by the local council. To send out teams of men with vehicles which in total probably costs more than what would be 'lost' by making disposal of rubbish free. By all means charge for rubbish disposal by companies, that happens now if it's a commercial vehicle being used. Council Tax payers should not be subsidising companies. In the past there was not rubbish dumping in the way it happens today, not until councils and others started charging. The imposition of Landfill Tax I believe only served to make this even more necessary:

https://www.letsrecycle.com/news/lat...-35-per-tonne/

Also of course government grants to local councils have been reduced so Council Tax had to be increased to take up that shortfall. In addition councils had to find ways of keeping Council Tax down to ensure government rulings that Council Tax should not increase by more than a certain small percentage (2%) each year, if at all.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...unding-england

This meant local councils had to make charges for what used to be free, I believe causing dumping of rubbish on the scale we see today. Things cannot continue as they are or in the longer term we will all end up living in rubbish tips, not a very pleasant outlook in many ways.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 01:07 PM

There is no easy way of dealing with the charge for disposing rubbish because nobody wants to pay to get rid of their rubbish.

For large items that we need to replace, perhaps the cost of disposing the old item should be included in the cost of buying the new one! Nobody minds paying for something new, & we could hopefully rely on the company to dispose of the reject safely.

If people dump things where they shouldn't they should be made to pay the cost of removing it & punished by having to remove what others have dumped.

I realize that we wont catch everybody, but I am sure that cameras, strategically placed, could catch enough to make the cost worthwhile & if they know there is a chance of criminal proceedings perhaps less will fly tip if the punishments are harsh enough!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 04:59 PM

We are a dirty country . When I've been abroad in Europe I've noticed the streets are clean . Someone is sweeping or collecting . I went to Pula a year ago the town was spotlessly clean . Such clean proud people . Also when I was in Malaga so so clean .

I went to Gibraltar it was dirty just like England .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 06:11 PM

Depends where you go in the tourist areas places are often clean in the poorer area they are not so good .
In Spain people who are on Unemployment benefits are expected to do public service cleaning the Streets is one of them .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I don't see why increases in Council Tax should happen. Rubbish that is now dumped has to be cleared, by the local council. To send out teams of men with vehicles which in total probably costs more than what would be 'lost' by making disposal of rubbish free. By all means charge for rubbish disposal by companies, that happens now if it's a commercial vehicle being used. Council Tax payers should not be subsidising companies. In the past there was not rubbish dumping in the way it happens today, not until councils and others started charging. The imposition of Landfill Tax I believe only served to make this even more necessary:

This meant local councils had to make charges for what used to be free, I believe causing dumping of rubbish on the scale we see today. Things cannot continue as they are or in the longer term we will all end up living in rubbish tips, not a very pleasant outlook in many ways.
I agree with your and Dex's points about removing fly tipping rubbish. If council tips were free for all, at least the perpetrators would drive it to the dumpsite, instead of having to employ teams of workers and supplying them with trucks and equipment to remove it. I run past a popular fly tipping spot on my Sunday run and on several occasions been passed by a council cleanup team. Working on Sunday?......What's that going to cost?

Things are very much different nowadays, we have become a throwaway society, we couldn't afford to throw anything away when I was young, it was either repaired, or utilised for something else. I don't know about anybody else, but we just had one small zinc plated dustbin that was mainly filled by ash from the fire and burned out baked bean cans etc. I think recycling was done by chucking stuff on the fire, or using it to light tomorrows fire....

The council tip was mainly constructed of Ash, from the thousands of dustbins collected each week, so not all that bad for the environment. Anything else that needed to be dumped could be taken to the great big hole in the ground (the tip!) and thrown in, and not a black plastic back in sight.....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I've noticed them Arty, and they are proper dump it sites. There used to be large litter bins on some of them, but were rarely emptied and were overflowing all over the place, so I think people just gave up trying to dispose of their rubbish sensibly. Why they don't just take it home with them I'll never know....
All the way to Romania or Kazacstahn ???

Donkeyman! 😇😇
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
On its way back from Uranus.
🙌🙌🙌🙌

Donkeyman!!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top