Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 03:48 PM

Re: We have done Breait before.

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Hi Swimfeeders.

I have to dispute your "everybody will suffer" statement - but only because if it does become true that it will be purely because of EU intransigence.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for the EU to treat an ex-member as a hostile nation which is what the EU would in effect be doing if it persists upon the current path. It is the unreasonable requests rather than (for example) agreeing a basic free trade deal first and then seeking additional actions that will lead to the EU in effect shooting itself in the foot and causing suffering all-round.

In honesty I find it remarkably sad that the EU has so little regard for it's own citizenry.

You are treated as any other third country, but therein lies the problem. You expect to be treated as special because you are a former member. Acting as if that entitles you to the same advantages as membership. It doesn't. You chose brexit, and need to own up to it.

As for european citizenry, they blame britain for any problems after 31 december. Just as you blame the EU.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You are treated as any other third country, but therein lies the problem. You expect to be treated as special because you are a former member. Acting as if that entitles you to the same advantages as membership. It doesn't. You chose brexit, and need to own up to it.

As for european citizenry, they blame britain for any problems after 31 december. Just as you blame the EU.
You must show us what other country (that the EU has a deal with) that the EU insists upon rights to sovereign territory like fishing waters; where the EU insists upon a "level playing field" so that (for example) subsidies must equal theirs; or where the EU insist upon their courts (the ECJ ) being superior to that country's?

Once you fail in that you might consider how a deal like Canada's with the EU (chosen as the most-talked-about only) renders the UK guilty of being "special" and having the "same advantages as membership" ?

The EU is like you Europhiles; full of hot air but empty when it comes to having any idea what it does want other than to keep a stranglehold on the members that remain.

That's why your decision-making processes are glacially slow and it's why - each and every year - the rest of the world pulls further and further away from you as it grows.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 04:02 PM

You dodged answering the question: If Brexit is no issue, WHY are YOU so determined to have your say?

If you're so determined to assert that it will not impact you that only leaves one possibility; you are trouble-making.
But such are fervent Europhiles.
I stumbled into the forum by accident. Invited to enter discussions I did. Faced with adversity, many times accompanied by insults, I just persevered in standing up to it. I also can give as good as I take on derision.

I'm pro-European but not uncritical. I regard European integration as largely beneficial but recognise that in many respects the Union does not work well. I also think that the EU should take on more responsibilities globally, on issues ranging from climate change to security. I am all for an open, outward-looking and effective European Union.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

19-10-2020, 04:09 PM

You must show us what other country (that the EU has a deal with) that the EU insists upon rights to sovereign territory like fishing waters; where the EU insists upon a "level playing field" so that (for example) subsidies must equal theirs; or where the EU insist upon their courts (the ECJ ) being superior to that country's?

Once you fail in that you might consider how a deal like Canada's with the EU (chosen as the most-talked-about only) renders the UK guilty of being "special" and having the "same advantages as membership" ?

The EU is like you Europhiles; full of hot air but empty when it comes to having any idea what it does want other than to keep a stranglehold on the members that remain.

That's why your decision-making processes are glacially slow and it's why - each and every year - the rest of the world pulls further and further away from you as it grows.
If you close a trade deal with the usa, there is only one organisation the holds juridiction, the us court of international trade.

What you seem to forget is that the UK and EU are not only negotiating trade, but on the future relationship. That includes trade, but also fisheries, governance, energy, security, crime fighting etc.
So other variables enter into the equation.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 04:26 PM

I stumbled into the forum by accident. Invited to enter discussions I did. Faced with adversity, many times accompanied by insults, I just persevered in standing up to it. I also can give as good as I take on derision.

I'm pro-European but not uncritical. I regard European integration as largely beneficial but recognise that in many respects the Union does not work well. I also think that the EU should take on more responsibilities globally, on issues ranging from climate change to security. I am all for an open, outward-looking and effective European Union.
I applaud you honesty but I have to say that your vision is remarkably flawed.
"I am all for an open, outward-looking and effective European Union." - that is a dream which your union has always wanted but never ever actually acheived - and it recognises that itself.

On transparency:
https://euobserver.com/institutional/29976

As for taking on more issues globally - well I understand the desire but regarding recent actions when trying to over-reach they haven't exactly gone very well, have they?
Look what they caused in the Ukraine, yet they persist in courting similar potential troubles with their continued expansionism.
Look at the reactions against EU interference in Malaysia and more.

That was always the EU's biggest problem: the idea is good, but trying to put it innto practice is a no-no.
That was always the likely outcome when you try to treat a variety of completely different cultures, beliefs, histories and religions.
That sort of imperialism (federalism if you wish) has been shown doomed to failure so many times throughout history - even fairly recent history.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

19-10-2020, 04:40 PM

If you close a trade deal with the usa, there is only one organisation the holds juridiction, the us court of international trade.

What you seem to forget is that the UK and EU are not only negotiating trade, but on the future relationship. That includes trade, but also fisheries, governance, energy, security, crime fighting etc.
So other variables enter into the equation.
The first is wrong. That depends upon whatever is agreed and international laws apply (which we know are inneffectual).

The second: I forget nothing thank you so much.
The EU will harm future relationships tremendously if it persist as you must surely realise.
Once we move our business elsewhere - be it a foodstuff or a car - it will take a long, long time as well as a lot of persuasion before we choose to return that lost business to EU shores.
Not only that but the EU's already-precarious position on the world stage isn't going to improve because of how they are handling Brexit, you know.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

19-10-2020, 05:04 PM

The first is wrong. That depends upon whatever is agreed and international laws apply (which we know are inneffectual).

The second: I forget nothing thank you so much.
The EU will harm future relationships tremendously if it persist as you must surely realise.
Once we move our business elsewhere - be it a foodstuff or a car - it will take a long, long time as well as a lot of persuasion before we choose to return that lost business to EU shores.
Not only that but the EU's already-precarious position on the world stage isn't going to improve because of how they are handling Brexit, you know.

Moody didn't downgrade any of the EU countries. Only the UK.

Noticed that every time boris announced a no deal brexit the pound slumped. But not last friday. By now everybody sees through his lies, except of course brexiters.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

19-10-2020, 05:10 PM

Sorry, misinformed again.

. It may hear only cases involving particular international trade and customs law questions. The court hears disputes, such as those involving protests filed with*U.S. Customs and Border Protection, decisions regarding Trade Adjustment Assistance by the*U.S. Department of Labor*or*U.S. Department of Agriculture, customs broker licensing, and disputes relating to determinations made by the United States International Trade Commission and the*Department of Commerce's International Trade Administration regarding anti-dumping and countervailing duties.

There is one notable exception to the court's jurisdiction. In cases involving anti-dumping and countervailing duties imposed on Canadian or Mexican merchandise, an interested party can request that the case be heard before a special ad hoc bi-national panel organized under Chapter 19 of the 1988 Canadian-U.S. Free Trade Agreement.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

19-10-2020, 05:14 PM

Moody didn't downgrade any of the EU countries. Only the UK.

Noticed that every time boris announced a no deal brexit the pound slumped. But not last friday. By now everybody sees through his lies, except of course brexiters.
Opinions mean nothing and you know just as well as I do that Moody could increase their rating just as quickly.

Where is this £ slump?
It's op 0.6% today alone - there's been no "slump" since the inneffectual downgrade in fact the Pound is up!

Again insults too I see.
Combined with you false assertions there's only one possible reason: you're just trolling, aren't you?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

19-10-2020, 05:26 PM

Opinions mean nothing and you know just as well as I do that Moody could increase their rating just as quickly.

Where is this £ slump?
It's op 0.6% today alone - there's been no "slump" since the inneffectual downgrade in fact the Pound is up!

Again insults too I see.
Combined with you false assertions there's only one possible reason: you're just trolling, aren't you?
It's you who brought in opinions in post #26, about EU stage appearance.

Read first. I said every time, but not now. Which indicates boris bluff has been seen through.

No trolling, bringing up factual statements, substantiated by linked info. If it upsets you, though!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top