Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 05:08 PM

What? No Mention?

No mention by the MSM of the £15.2b trade deal between the UK and Japan I see. What a surprise.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...s-carswell-spt
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 05:13 PM

Re: What? No Mention?

Originally Posted by Judd ->
No mention by the MSM of the £15.2b trade deal between the UK and Japan I see. What a surprise.

Have you seen Liz Truss's piece in the Telegraph?
It's great reading, and includes this nugget:
"Ms Truss told The Telegraph she is also confident of a trade deal with the US regardless of who wins next month’s presidential election, as she revealed she has held detailed discussions with supporters of Joe Biden alongside talks with Donald Trump."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...harge-economy/
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 05:19 PM

Not mentioned on BBC lunchtime news. Now there's a surprise!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 05:30 PM

Hi

It has been widely reported, but in a different way.

It is a replacement of the existing arrangement we have as part of the EU, with slightly different terms.

We can sell more cheese to Japan, but we have stricter terms on state aid.

Tariffs on Japanese cars are not removed until 2026, same as with the EU Deal.

The stricter controls on state aid are something of an issue.

They are more stringent than the ones we are refusing to accept from the EU.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is a replacement of the existing arrangement we have as part of the EU, with slightly different terms.

Regarding the BIB, proof of that assertion please - in the form of a link to the agreement and not some biased hack's opinion which is not proof.
(You might like to take note of your own words Swimfeeders; the deal has slightly different terms to the EU's deal.)
Otherwise I'm calling that bit in bold above a blatant lie.

It's sour grapes because we got a deal, nothing more.
I suppose these haters dislike Norway giving us a deal too and isn't it strange how they ignore the news from Liz Truss about how a USA/UK deal is progressing too?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...rade-agreement
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 08:21 PM

I know it was agreed a while ago but it was signed today in Tokyo. Wasn't it the first UK trade deal? Remainers do tend to make little of it. If it had failed to materialise they would be shouting from the rooftops telling us we are incapable of making trade deals outside the EU.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Never a positive mention of anything done by Brexiteers, or, PNs, etc.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 10:42 AM

Hi

Calling me a liar is not a good thing to do.

https://www.ft.com/content/edb7d155-...3-31b2247fa178

Stupid Liz Truss has handed the EU a Golden get out by doing this.

You ought to realise that the UK Japan Deal is not a great breakthrough, it is something we already had as part of the EU but on worse terms.

Liam Fox said we would have all 40 Trade Deals we have as part of the EU replicated before we left.

The arrogant idiot then told them what they would sign up to.

They said get lost, so we are not leaving on the same terms.

As regards the Japan Deal, you omitted to include the crucial words in the link.

Where the Japanese said that it was vital for the UK to secure a Trade Deal with the EU.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...rade-agreement
Zaphod
Lincs UK

24-10-2020, 03:33 PM

Hi

Calling me a liar is not a good thing to do.
Insisting that something is a fact when it isn't is not being honest, which makes it what?

I draw your attention to my request:
"Regarding the BIB, proof of that assertion please - in the form of a link to the agreement and not some biased hack's opinion which is not proof. "
Providing a hack's opinion is certainly not factual unless it is supported by evidence and here there is none.

"In the bilateral UK-Japan agreement announced in principle on Friday, London and Tokyo have agreed to replicate the restrictions on subsidies in the EU-Japan deal that went into effect last year."
Do you understand what "in principle" means? And that is from your FT link. The definition from Collins Dictionary:
"If you agree with something in principle, you agree in general terms to the idea of it, although you do not yet know the details"
In other words the reporter doesn't know so they used the by-now-typical tactic of using "weasle words".

That's why you haven't found the proof I asked for as I suspect you now realise.
This whole Brexit palaver has gone on for so long now that surely you must be aware of our media's insistence upon misderection, using misleading content, and downright lying?

It also says this:
“The UK-Japan agreement contains similar commitments, including on transparency about subsidies awarded and consultations over any concerns about those subsidies which may affect the other party.”
Ah so not restrictions then like you are trying so desperately to believe.
No.
Just an agreement to be honest and open with each other, and to discuss any subsidies that affect each other if there are any concerns.
That seems straightforward enough.
This from further on in that same FT link would point to my surmise being correct:
"some lawyers also stressed that the subsidy rules in the Japan bilateral deal were still weak compared with the detailed and invasive EU state aid regime."
So it certainly doesn't warrant the degree of fear you display.

As regards the Japan Deal, you omitted to include the crucial words in the link.

Where the Japanese said that it was vital for the UK to secure a Trade Deal with the EU.
Where in the FT link you include, the Telegraph link I posted or the UK Govt' link does it say that please?
Nowhere can I see anything even remotely suggestive of what you're claiming in the quote directly above.

I politely suggest that you cease believing that opinionated reporting is instead factual.
Reporters sell stories; they have to make them interesting or you won't read them.
Nowadays far too many are like the Beano, full of imagination but with very little fact inside.
It's sad I know but that is how poor our media have become.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 03:37 PM

Hi

That's not my understanding of what's been published in today's DE. In fact, the DE is reporting that the EU is pissed because it hasn't been offered the same deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top