Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 11:29 AM

Re: Treat This As Priority MOD!!

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
The UK was once an independent powerful nation, then they joined the EU and over time the country became a puppet at the hands of other EU nations. Now the UK is leaving the EU, the EU are worried that the UK will once again become a powerful independent nation and if that was to happen, it would create a domino effect of other countries wanting the same for their nation thus the unravelling of the EU. Brussels is not about to let that happen because they want control, they don't want to give control back to individual nations again.
Hi

We are not going to be a powerful nation again.

Times have changed.

We are hugely in debt with limited manufacturing capability.

We can however become a much more pleasant and efficient Country to live in if we forget about our past and focus on our future.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Not the EU, our own stupidity.

Yes it is down to not only our Free Trade mad Politicians but also our Civil Servants, of which I used to be one.

There is an absolute get out, strategic industries, which everybody else uses except us.

Countries build their own.

We are the stupid ones.

There is no way at all French or Polish warships would be built by the Germans, that is simply not going to happen.
Yes, I read an article in the Express a day or two ago (I can't find it right now), written by an unidentified civil servant - unidentified because he feared for his job if word got out - who confirmed that most, if not all, of his colleagues were completely anti-government and anti-Brexit. They pay lip service to their ministers, but act completely against them.

Like the House of Lards, the Civil Service really needs reforming. Just like the old TV series 'Yes Minister', they feel that they are the ones who run the country and not the elected government.

So much for democracy.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I read an article in the Express a day or two ago (I can't find it right now), written by an unidentified civil servant - unidentified because he feared for his job if word got out - who confirmed that most, if not all, of his colleagues were completely anti-government and anti-Brexit. They pay lip service to their ministers, but act completely against them.

Like the House of Lards, the Civil Service really needs reforming. Just like the old TV series 'Yes Minister', they feel that they are the ones who run the country and not the elected government.

So much for democracy.
I hope Boris gets his way and actually gets to do something:
“We will move departments of state — ministers, private offices and all — to great northern cities and regions that represent the future of this country,” he told a conference on the north."
https://www.ft.com/content/feec348f-...1-284d8a330361

His greatest difficulty is the same as that which plagues Priti Patel regarding immigration: there are far too many alleged do-gooders interfering and preventing real action.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 01:39 PM

Interesting.

As I understand it, the EU rules that no-one can build their own naval assets and, consequently, (quote) we use Swedish steel and buy French missile launchers.

I have a simple question.

What do we build for other EU countries?

(Incidentally, the writer of that article made a mistake. The Harrier isn't exclusively used by the US Air Force; it's used exclusively by the US Marines.)

Of course, I strongly believe that we should immediately put in place what we need to build our own ships (and other defensive systems). We have a long history of shipbuilding and, as I'm sure I have mentioned before, in the 1950s and '60s we were world leaders in aircraft design and production. Rolls Royce still holds that position regarding aero engines.
I did read, soewhere, that the UK adopted the shipbuilding rules mentioned, but France continued to build all it's ships in France.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 01:43 PM

The civil service always has been utterly useless. We really need to sort it out.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 02:04 PM

They are neither civil or servants
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
They are neither civil or servants
Quite; the words "quango" and "leech" are probably more fitting in far too many instances.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I hope Boris gets his way and actually gets to do something:
“We will move departments of state — ministers, private offices and all — to great northern cities and regions that represent the future of this country,” he told a conference on the north."
https://www.ft.com/content/feec348f-...1-284d8a330361

His greatest difficulty is the same as that which plagues Priti Patel regarding immigration: there are far too many alleged do-gooders interfering and preventing real action.
That might work.

I am assuming that the left-wing anti-government anti-Brexit civil servants are all of a type commonly found down South.
If they are compulsorily moved up North, perhaps they may decide to move to a different job and free up their places to other people who DO support the government and Brexit.

Well, I can hope at least.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-10-2020, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I did read, soewhere, that the UK adopted the shipbuilding rules mentioned, but France continued to build all it's ships in France.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
It wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure France feels that it is above EU rules and can do what the hell they like.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-10-2020, 02:51 PM

It wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure France feels that it is above EU rules and can do what the hell they like.
It IS above EU rules.
When have you seen France taken to task by the EU for the breaking of rules about the provision of tax breaks using state aid, or breaking EU rules on their budget deficit year after year?

Poland only has to cut down a few trees and the EU intervene!
Hungary refuses refugees which the EU knows would cause problems - but the EU's there wielding the big stick.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top