Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 03:10 PM

Re: Time Capsules

My daughter put one into the foundations of her new home.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 03:22 PM

I was thinking of putting my spare front door key in one, but that would be no good cos I would have to dig it back up if I ever lost my own set. This type of thing needs careful consideration.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 03:53 PM

I actually found a tin box in our garden here, buried about 18" down.

Inside there were some very old marbles, a top, a lead soldier, a military badge, an old coin and some scraps of paper that had virtually disintegrated so you couldn't read anything of the writing on it.

I've also found a makeshift hearth with three vicious-looking military style axe heads laying in it and a pommel of what once was a sword I think.

We live in Buckinghamshire, which was the scire, (district) of Bucca's home, which referred to Buckingham in the north of the county and it was Royalist territory and it dates back to the 12th Century.

Who knows? stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I actually found a tin box in our garden here, buried about 18" down.

Inside there were some very old marbles, a top, a lead soldier, a military badge, an old coin and some scraps of paper that had virtually disintegrated so you couldn't read anything of the writing on it.

I've also found a makeshift hearth with three vicious-looking military style axe heads laying in it and a pommel of what once was a sword I think.

We live in Buckinghamshire, which was the scire, (district) of Bucca's home, which referred to Buckingham in the north of the county and it was Royalist territory and it dates back to the 12th Century.

Who knows? stevmk2
Interesting, Steve!

I've never given this a thought, so wouldn't know what to put it one and where.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 06:56 PM

Everything I like seems to be getting banned these days so I was thinking of having a big capsule made and filling it with booze, cigars, pipes, fags, and a couple of gold ingots for when I come back, and I will. I can then resume where I left off, provided I remember where I buried the capsule.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 07:24 PM

Ooooo - good idea Jem
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 10:42 PM

I understand you have to seal it totally airproof so the contents will be preserved, but not sure how to do this, or what kind of container to use.
Who knows, according to its contents, it might even be discovered by an archaeologist and end up in a museum hundreds of years on. The least I could hope for is some excited treasure hunter might dig it up and appreciate it.
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2014, 03:24 AM

I made a time capsule of sorts for my oldest son. From the time he was a baby, I would put newspaper clippings and articles into a scrapbook, about what was happening in the world. I gave it to him when he was grown, and he loves it!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 12:14 AM

Ah, that's a nice idea Angelfire.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 07:35 AM

When I was Clerk of Works on the Welbeck Estate in Nottinghamshire we converted the old gas works into an art gallery, and we placed a sealed time capsule under the treasury floor. It contains a full set of currency from 1p coin up to £50 note, several newspapers and magazines, photos of the workforce and a letter written by Lady Anne Bentink giving a resume of her family history. I also think there were copies of building plans for the original gasworks.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top