Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 09:27 PM

Re: Disposables

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Pretty good going. Nigh on 30 years.

My old fella used to fix TVs and wanted me to learn electronics as a useful lifeskill. But colour blindness made this unfeasable. Real pity.
Yes, I can understand that..............well, possibly understand that. I imagine it could have difficulties in other spheres too.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes, I can understand that..............well, possibly understand that. I imagine it could have difficulties in other spheres too.
Reading circuit boards somewhat irksome, to be sure.

Also, colour blindness prevents entering certain careers (flying being one for obvious reasons).

Not really been too much of a problem in my teaching career, other than spreadsheet cells not flagging up some colour coded data quite so clearly. Apparently not all pupils were doing well (green) and some in fact needed intervention (red).
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 09:49 PM

Pupils and colour blindness, seems to be a link.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 10:06 PM

Reading circuit boards somewhat irksome, to be sure.

Also, colour blindness prevents entering certain careers (flying being one for obvious reasons).

Not really been too much of a problem in my teaching career, other than spreadsheet cells not flagging up some colour coded data quite so clearly. Apparently not all pupils were doing well (green) and some in fact needed intervention (red).
That is certainly positives. I appreciate that.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Pupils and colour blindness, seems to be a link.
Well spotted spitty.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Dex, I have said that in generations to come, ours will be lost. Because of planned obsolescence, the internet, and disposable technology, there will be no sign that we ever existed.

Planned demolition should be part of every building permit and approval. Owners should have to maintain funds in escrow that is passed from owner to owner to pay for demolition after abandonment for a certain period of time.
In a thousand years time archeologists will be swarming over our rubbish dumps where they will find everything they need to know about us.

Is that also true for LED's?
LED bulbs are designed to fail by overdriving the LEDs you only have to compare a normal Philips LED bulb and a Dubai Philips bulb to know that.

The Dubai lamp has twice the number of LEDs for the same wattage - they will last for ever.

If you know what you are doing LED bulbs are easy to adjust to reduce the current through the LEDs (depends on their design)
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pauline, l can see where Longy easily made the mistake. The thread title was a typical ‘Spitfire one word title’.

Wait..... or did Longy know all along and was just being jokey?

Anyway, l better get back to the subject of the thread.

Don’t we now live in a ‘disposable’ society? Nothing is built to last. We just throw away and replace just for the sake of convenience.

Aren’t we a more intelligent race now with brilliant, progressive and futuristic minded people inventing or improving products every second?

As for buildings, l think they should be built to last not be a temporary place to be knocked down and replaced with another temporary building. That takes up too much time and time is precious.
More important than time - resources.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top