Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 03:01 PM

Re: Canned Bread

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
My back in the dark ages was the 60s I can even remember self heating cans
I'm curious as to how they worked, Vlad? I know about heated handwarmers, but cans? Are they double insulated or something? How hot did they get?
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 03:14 PM

They were a standard can with a solid fuel element right through the centre of the can, separate from the food which surrounded it. You ignited the cooking element by pulling a small lever( similar to a ring pull) it did take quite some time to heat up and there were cases of the tin exploding. If my memory serves right they didn’t last long in service.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 03:20 PM

They were a standard can with a solid fuel element right through the centre of the can, separate from the food which surrounded it. You ignited the cooking element by pulling a small lever( similar to a ring pull) it did take quite some time to heat up and there were cases of the tin exploding. If my memory serves right they didn’t last long in service.
Can't imagine why. A few beans surrounding a hand grenade sounds a great idea to me.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 03:44 PM

Bloody hot too
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

25-05-2021, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Eeew, Omah that looks vile!
I suppose he's one of the reasons why cans of soft drinks have "open other end" printed on the bottom in the USA
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 05:57 PM

Well that sounds really interesting Vlad, thanks. I agree with Dex though in that it could well be a very dangerous weapon in the wrong hands!! No wonder it didn't last long as an invention, ha!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
IStays fresh for up to 3 years.
...and unopened for at least 200 years!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
I suppose he's one of the reasons why cans of soft drinks have "open other end" printed on the bottom in the USA
What about on bottles?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 09:33 PM

In another episode....

Canned grapefruit segments:

Put grapefruits in boiling water for a couple of minutes to soften peel,
Employ about 400 people to remove the skin and pull apart into segments.

So far, so good. Now for the weird bit..

To remove pith from segments:

Soak them for a few minutes in diluted hydrochloric acid, which dissolves the pith,
Then soak them in caustic soda to neutralise the acid,
Then wash them in water.

Finally put them in tins and seal them.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

25-05-2021, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
In another episode....

Canned grapefruit segments:

Put grapefruits in boiling water for a couple of minutes to soften peel,
Employ about 400 people to remove the skin and pull apart into segments.

So far, so good. Now for the weird bit..

To remove pith from segments:

Soak them for a few minutes in diluted hydrochloric acid, which dissolves the pith,
Then soak them in caustic soda to neutralise the acid,
Then wash them in water.

Finally put them in tins and seal them.
Umm...is this real, or are you joking?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top