Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 12:41 AM

No alm in that

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/boy-11-ref...143529212.html
An 11-year-old primary school pupil was referred to the government’s controversial counter-radicalisation Prevent programme after a teacher mistook the word “alms” for “arms” during a classroom discussion.

The boy’s teacher asked what pupils would do if they found themselves in possession of a lot of money. According to a legal challenge against the school lodged by the boy’s parents, he said he would “give alms to the oppressed”. The teacher interpreted this as “give arms to the oppressed” and made the Prevent referral.

When police received the referral they said there was no substance to it, no sign of radicalisation, extremist views or any threat to national security and closed the case.

The boy’s parents are taking legal action against the school, accusing it of applying a stereotype about his racial and religious background. It calls for a written apology from the school, the payment of damages and the expunging of the Prevent referral from the boy’s record.
Over-reaction from all parties concerned, surely?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:01 AM

Re: No alm in that

Are children being taught by teachers who cannot read??!!

The world is going to hell in a handcart!
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Over-reaction from all parties concerned, surely?
The word "alms" is not part of most people's normal vocabulary these days, and when it is used, it is more usual to pair it with "the poor", rather than "the oppressed".

But, as usual, I doubt that the actual incident bears much resemblance to the reports of it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
The word "alms" is not part of most people's normal vocabulary these days, and when it is used, it is more usual to pair it with "the poor", rather than "the oppressed".

But, as usual, I doubt that the actual incident bears much resemblance to the reports of it.
You could be right, Harbal!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Are children being taught by teachers who cannot read??!!
I can confirm that that is the case. However, I think the word was said rather than written.

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The world is going to hell in a handcart!
Suing the school is OTT. But not asking the child what he meant was a (poor) oversight by the teacher.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 10:57 AM

If the youngster said “ Arms” which obviously he didn’t ,he said “ Alms”

The question asked by the teacher, what would you do if you found yourself in possession of a lot of money, then the pupils reply ,

If I was a teacher and thought he said “ arms” straight away I would have asked him , did you say “ arms”....purely because of the question asked....she did what she thought was right, as are the parents, we all look at things very differently......

I wouldn’t be interested ,whether I thought they were right or wrong,( either of them).....so, not really sure where you are taking this thread.

They are/ have taken the action that they
felt was the right course of action .

You won’t change it, if you want to have a rant about then fair enough.

Just my thoughts.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

28-06-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
If the youngster said “ Arms” which obviously he didn’t ,he said “ Alms”

The question asked by the teacher, what would you do if you found yourself in possession of a lot of money, then the pupils reply ,

If I was a teacher and thought he said “ arms” straight away I would have asked him , did you say “ arms”....purely because of the question asked....she did what she thought was right, as are the parents, we all look at things very differently......

I wouldn’t be interested ,whether I thought they were right or wrong,( either of them).....so, not really sure where you are taking this thread.

They are/ have taken the action that they
felt was the right course of action .

You won’t change it, if you want to have a rant about then fair enough.

Just my thoughts.
Of course.

Just thought it was an interesting story which showed how quickly a misunderstanding of (in this case) a single spoken word can lead to all sort of legal problems.

The school has a legal duty to refer potential incidents to the Prevent program. Although not bound to make further investigations, it seems a little remiss not to ask the child to explain a bit further, either in the class or in private afterwards.

I can understand the parents being upset, especially once the police came round, and asking for an apology and a redaction from the records. Not entirely convinced that suing for damages is proportionate though. Suggesting that the school has used sterotypical profiling isn't really helpful either.

Not ranting, just discussing Pauline
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Of course.

Just thought it was an interesting story which showed how quickly a misunderstanding of (in this case) a single spoken word can lead to all sort of legal problems.

The school has a legal duty to refer potential incidents to the Prevent program. Although not bound to make further investigations, it seems a little remiss not to ask the child to explain a bit further, either in the class or in private afterwards.

I can understand the parents being upset, especially once the police came round, and asking for an apology and a redaction from the records. Not entirely convinced that suing for damages is proportionate though. Suggesting that the school has used sterotypical profiling isn't really helpful either.

Not ranting, just discussing Pauline

Takes all sorts I guess, I don’t think I would su....makes me wonder what’s in some people’s head at times...mine included.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Takes all sorts I guess,
To each his own, pauline.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 11:56 AM

In my school it wouldn't have mattered whether I said 'alms' or 'Arms' the teacher would assume I was taking the mick and either questioned me further or clipped me round the ear.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top