Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:10 AM

Utterly pointless

Sometimes we have good morning TV on in the background (the one with Schofield and Willoughby) so that I can place my occasional £2 investment for tens of thousands of pounds which my wife seems hell bent on spending before we actually win it, which is the subject of another thread.

However, occasionally they have some parts of the show dedicated to all manner of powders and creams which are somehow designed to make one's skin smooth, soft, and indeed cover up any blemishes, and which can be purchased for many tens of pounds. Ironically, the presenter they shanghai into presenting this dross appears to have particularly bad skin, judging by the amount of makeup and cream required to skim coat her face.

So, the question is, is it really worth the time, money and effort to shove these panaceaic elixirs on your body. (don't know if that word actually exists, but it sounds convincing)

Or is it just another example of an acceptable scam, a bit like fashion clothing?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:47 AM

Re: Utterly pointless

With skin it's more about what you put into your body, your lifestyle, genes and the environment where you spend most of your time. Unless you have a serious problem with a skin condition these creams are a scam for those with more money than sense. For skincare less is more in my book.

Many years ago we went to a wedding in Texas and I was told how lucky I was to live in England where we have the most ambient weather for skin. In the US there are many complaints about the harsh effect weather has on skin. I could certainly feel it on my skin when we were in Arizona and that was before their high summer. You can end up looking like an old boot before you're 40.

We don't realise how lucky we are with this rain and damp! So these regimes likely originate in countries where they have a harsher climate such as the US and Australia. They make some great products out there but we don't really need them here. So over here they are a scam.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 12:16 PM

Since a teenager of the 60's my late friend Rosi, redhead and freckles many more than I had, but we covered our faces with Max Factor Pan stick...Lips as well OMG..yes. obviously looked great with the back combed hair as well.

Since getting over that stage we stopped all makeup just eye make up,same as now..
Depending on your skin types, to what you need.
I use Aveeno Lotion by Johnson and Johnson, purchased online from a French Pharmacy but my first knowledge of it was, I was actually prescribed it by my UK Doctor when 1st my hands broke out with dermatitis and my face also became sensitive to sunlight.

The product contains colloidal oatmeal which is calming to skin that is dry/sensitive. Also you need very little of it so 1000ml will last a year approx.

I have tried expensive lotions and creams and they feel like they are making your skin soft, that is the catch they only feel like they are.......my opinion only...

https://fr.iherb.com/pr/aveeno-daily...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Sometimes we have good morning TV on in the background
As you say, utterly pointless.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 12:31 PM

I don’t believe moisturising the skin is pointless, I have used expensive creams in the past.

Without moisturising your skin it goes very dry....I’m all for men using a moisturiser as well.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 12:32 PM

All you need to get your skin soft is a pot of Vaseline. As for removing wrinkles - they don't!!

It's a multi million pound industry.
A beautifully presented scam built on women's insecurities.

We ought to be able to report them to trading standards really...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 12:35 PM

You use Vaseline on your face Carol?

I’ve never heard of that, are they selling Vaseline face cream?..as I’d like to try it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
With skin it's more about what you put into your body, your lifestyle, genes and the environment where you spend most of your time. Unless you have a serious problem with a skin condition these creams are a scam for those with more money than sense. For skincare less is more in my book.
I agree Annie though I do put on a cream to help keep the sun off my face.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
You use Vaseline on your face Carol?

I’ve never heard of that, are they selling Vaseline face cream?..as I’d like to try it.

Not all the time but sometimes if I've run out of my regular supermarket cream I will use vaseline. It's a bit greasy though.

Generally I just use anything off the supermarket shelf. The expensive stuff is all hype...
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 12:45 PM

I can kinda get my head round a bit of Vaseline or olive oil or something cheap from poundland. But £80 for a wineglassful of some weird concoction???

Give us a break!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top