Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Re: Where the plastic goes

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Not a name I recognise. I did some work in Cape Town. Variable speed drives on aircon if I remember correctly.
I spent a lot of time in that country. Some before Apartheid. Some after.

Part of my journey in life.
Besoeker, you said BEFORE aparthied??
On another tack, l owned an old machine for grinding
machine tool slideways, it was driven by a ward lennox
DC drive system! It gave us quite a bit of fun as it was
Pre solid state?

Regards Donkeyman!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 10:33 AM

I was thinking about how much waste we create now & it is disgraceful, whether it is plastic or any other material, ...here are a few of my thoughts.

1) Supermarkets are to blame for a lot of it, why cant they put their fruit and veg in boxes & let customers choose how much they want, rather than having to buy a full pack?
Rather than waste it, perhaps we are all eating a bit more, to save it going bad, so obesity will cost the NHS more!
2) Wet pet foods are seriously over packed, why not put out boxes of different flavours & let people choose which ones their pets will eat? Every 2 weeks I fill my recycle wheelie bin with plastic bottles & pet food boxes.....but the birds are fed on the wasted cat food the cats won't eat!
3) Packaging is a marketing gimmick, that they use to make you buy more of things you don't really need...but they looked nice in the shop!

Do the government care? No because making all this packaging means that people have jobs, yet those people could be working at Supermarkets restocking shelves..... but then the supermarkets wouldn't make so much money so that isn't likely to happen
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I was thinking about how much waste we create now & it is disgraceful, whether it is plastic or any other material, ...here are a few of my thoughts.

1) Supermarkets are to blame for a lot of it, why cant they put their fruit and veg in boxes & let customers choose how much they want, rather than having to buy a full pack?
Rather than waste it, perhaps we are all eating a bit more, to save it going bad, so obesity will cost the NHS more!
2) Wet pet foods are seriously over packed, why not put out boxes of different flavours & let people choose which ones their pets will eat? Every 2 weeks I fill my recycle wheelie bin with plastic bottles & pet food boxes.....but the birds are fed on the wasted cat food the cats won't eat!
3) Packaging is a marketing gimmick, that they use to make you buy more of things you don't really need...but they looked nice in the shop!

Do the government care? No because making all this packaging means that people have jobs, yet those people could be working at Supermarkets restocking shelves..... but then the supermarkets wouldn't make so much money so that isn't likely to happen
The trouble is Twink, that most of your food travels thousands of miles and needs to arrive looking fresh and appealing. Food should be grown and delivered from local sources, but we must have our Mangos and year round strawberries....If people really want to to help the environment they should insist on local produce.....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The trouble is Twink, that most of your food travels thousands of miles and needs to arrive looking fresh and appealing. Food should be grown and delivered from local sources, but we must have our Mangos and year round strawberries....If people really want to to help the environment they should insist on local produce.....
I am with you all the way on that Foxy!

Just a thought, but if we all stopped travelling to far off lands we wouldn't get a taste for their food. That may help towards climate change & remind us that British food is good, when we know how to cook it!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

I agree with you there, Foxy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Also, Councils need to get their arses into gear and stop pretending to recycle. I mean why is it that my Council will recycle shredded paper but ONLY if it is left in a plastic carrier bag, same with any small electrical items?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Also, Councils need to get their arses into gear and stop pretending to recycle. I mean why is it that my Council will recycle shredded paper but ONLY if it is left in a plastic carrier bag, same with any small electrical items?
My Council insists on shredded paper being mixed with the garden and household food waste. Also anything that is put out, other than in the appropriate bin, has to be in a clear plastic bag so that the 'refuse operatives' can see what's inside. That's another plastic bag, if not recycleable another piece of plastic possibly going to landfill.

Better still why don't ALL Councils recycle and collect ALL waste to the same standard throughout the country as a whole? Why isn't the system of coloured bins for different waste the same throughout the country?

Why are Councils charging so much to get rid of, for instance, a domestic fridge or an old mattress? They do this and then wonder why that same fridge and mattress gets dumped in a country lane! Someone else sees this so adds to the dumping, then the Council has to spend more money clearing away what would have been taken to the local tip had it been free! We already pay through our Council Tax for all this so why cannot Councils see the problems caused by charging for what we already pay for?

Also, I get sick of seeing on packaging the message "Not recyclable". Why is anyone allowed to produce packaging that is not recyclable? There should be an absolute total ban on any packaging that cannot be recycled, end of story.

Some Councils say they don't get enough packaging of one particular kind to make it worthwhile recycling. That being the case then government should organise getting all that same packaging to one place so that collectively it is worth recycling.

It is possible to solve almost all the problem with waste and recycling, if only the problem could be grasped and sorted out by our useless government! That's what they are paid by us to do – organise and run the country!

End of rant, until next time!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
My Council insists on shredded paper being mixed with the garden and household food waste. Also anything that is put out, other than in the appropriate bin, has to be in a clear plastic bag so that the 'refuse operatives' can see what's inside. That's another plastic bag, if not recycleable another piece of plastic possibly going to landfill.

Better still why don't ALL Councils recycle and collect ALL waste to the same standard throughout the country as a whole? Why isn't the system of coloured bins for different waste the same throughout the country?

Why are Councils charging so much to get rid of, for instance, a domestic fridge or an old mattress? They do this and then wonder why that same fridge and mattress gets dumped in a country lane! Someone else sees this so adds to the dumping, then the Council has to spend more money clearing away what would have been taken to the local tip had it been free! We already pay through our Council Tax for all this so why cannot Councils see the problems caused by charging for what we already pay for?

Also, I get sick of seeing on packaging the message "Not recyclable". Why is anyone allowed to produce packaging that is not recyclable? There should be an absolute total ban on any packaging that cannot be recycled, end of story.

Some Councils say they don't get enough packaging of one particular kind to make it worthwhile recycling. That being the case then government should organise getting all that same packaging to one place so that collectively it is worth recycling.

It is possible to solve almost all the problem with waste and recycling, if only the problem could be grasped and sorted out by our useless government! That's what they are paid by us to do – organise and run the country!

End of rant, until next time!
That always baffles me too. i had a pack of 'Indian style poppodoms' (healthy, I know ) but the clear plastic container they were in was 'not yet recyclable', other things in the fridge which look like exactly the same packaging, are.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That always baffles me too. i had a pack of 'Indian style poppodoms' (healthy, I know ) but the clear plastic container they were in was 'not yet recyclable', other things in the fridge which look like exactly the same packaging, are.
This whole area bothers and completely baffles me. Not only are there those items clearly marked as "Not recyclable" but there are also those given numbers with an instruction to check with the local Council as to whether or not they are recyclable. Are we expected to have in our possession lists of these numbers from our local Council to check every item before recycling? Totally ridiculous and I have never seen any if we are!

The answer I believe, is for there to be no packaging whatsoever allowed that is not recyclable. That way ALL packaging would be recycled so the problems we are now being warned about would be very much lessened.

Yesterday when shopping at the supermarket I bought a small turnip for making some soup. It was covered in plastic with a label stating what it was and the bar code. Why? To make it easier for the price to be charged at the checkout!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-09-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
This whole area bothers and completely baffles me. Not only are there those items clearly marked as "Not recyclable" but there are also those given numbers with an instruction to check with the local Council as to whether or not they are recyclable. Are we expected to have in our possession lists of these numbers from our local Council to check every item before recycling? Totally ridiculous and I have never seen any if we are!

The answer I believe, is for there to be no packaging whatsoever allowed that is not recyclable. That way ALL packaging would be recycled so the problems we are now being warned about would be very much lessened.

Yesterday when shopping at the supermarket I bought a small turnip for making some soup. It was covered in plastic with a label stating what it was and the bar code. Why? To make it easier for the price to be charged at the checkout!
I keep saying that one week I will keep track of the time I spend sorting out the recycling bins. I mean as soon as it's collected I'm off again, washing plastic pots, folding up cardboard and ripping the plastic windows out of envelopes. Our dustmen are miserable buggers around here (I may have mentioned it a few times) but at least they get paid to do it. There's me sorting all this stuff out for bugger-all. Half of it is what the postman stuffs through my letter box and never even gets read.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top