Join for free
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 10:17 PM

Ladybirds

They're awake and flying around in my bungalow. I keep seeing things and thinking I have floaters, and it's those pesky ladybirds.

Just been reading up on them:

'If they wake up in the middle of winter and there are no aphids for them to eat they simply starve to death.

If you have the time and patience it's a good idea to move them to an outdoor habitat where they'll remain frost free and where they won't be attacked by predators. A shed or garage will do, or an insect house, which you can buy at most garden centres.'

Would you take the time and relocate them?

I must be a bad person, I wouldn't
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:34 PM

Re: Ladybirds

I would & could do this if I needed to. Some people are not happy being with bugs of any sort, but they have never bothered me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:40 PM

Pesta I had them last winter in a section of the kitchen door frame and they came out when it was sunny. I left them alone but found them annoying flying around.
The only place I could have put them would have been the garage and they would freeze to death in there.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:47 PM

It's Lacewings that seem to take up residence in my house for the winter. I love them and leave them alone to sleep. When the worst of winter is over they just disappear.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:53 PM

The big house where I used to work had large sash widows with shutters. We were told to clean these & the curtains had to come down for cleaning as well in one living room. My fellow worker & I got started & disturbed hundreds of butterflies that were hibernating there. The room was full of flying butterflies, it was Spring & quite warm so we opened all the windows & shoo'd them out doors.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 05:31 PM

I think I would try to put them somewhere out of the way but not found any yet.
I felt sorry for this one - think she bit off more than she could chew!!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladybird.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2632  
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 05:45 PM

they could be foreign invaders which can create huge swarms indoors. they also kill off our native ladybirds.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

06-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by cinnamon girl ->
they could be foreign invaders which can create huge swarms indoors. they also kill off our native ladybirds.
Yes they could be, Harlequin Ladybirds.
The differences here...
http://www.ladybird-survey.org/downl...2006_v.1.3.pdf

Difficult to tell the differences though.
http://www.harlequin-survey.org/reco...istinction.htm

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top