Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 01:32 PM

Nigel Farage's New Party To Fight Biggest Battle!

Just reading this online:-

Nigel Farage is expected to make a major step towards setting up a new Brexit-backing party this week.
The high-profile MEP is planning to unveil a new grouping in the European Parliament following the split in Ukip.
An announcement could come as early as today. He confirmed yesterday that talks and fundraising are already underway about the possibility of turning the organisation into an electoral force. Mr. Farage insisted fighting Brexit was his “destiny” after the widespread criticism of Theresa May’s deal with Brussels.

“I am not going to lie down and watch it go down the plug hole. I couldn’t do that. And I won’t do that” he said. “I sense within me I have not fought my biggest battle yet - that is how it feels”.

The former Ukip leader said a new, unequivocally pro-Leave party may be needed if a new round of European Parliament elections is held in the UK.

EU officials are understood to have made preparations for elections for a new contingent of British MEP’s if the EU’s Article 50 departure process is extended.
“If there are European Parliament elections I am standing and I am thinking about vehicles to do that” Mr. Farage said. “I will be looking to get some high-profile figures in from across the business and political spectrum.

UNQUOTE

Well, that should throw a cat amongst the pigeons!!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Re: Nigel Farage's New Party To Fight Biggest Battle!

Can't see it working unless people are prioritising BrExit aspirations over 4 years of general political aspirations.

i.e. Would Labour supporters who want to leave, vote for Farage's party instead of Labour just on the basis of seeing BrExit through? Or would they just back Labour anyway to ensure Labour gets in?

And the same goes for the Tories.

More parties results in voting dilution.

Imagine say that 55% of people normally vote Tory and 45% Labour. Clear cut.

Now introduce a 3rd party, Farage.

If the Tory Leavers vote Farage but Labour Leavers continue to support Labour then you end up with a result like:

Tories 35%, Farage 20%, Labour 45%

Suddenly the previously losing 45% Labour becomes a win.

Vote dilution.

It'll never work because both Tory and Labour supporters will fear their opponents won't vote for Farage and thus effect a win.

This same principle will apply to the 2nd Referendum when it happens. Remain want to similarly dilute the vote.

They want a Remain option on the ballot paper, but want the Leave options diluted into multiple choices like "No Deal" and "May's Deal" and "Other Deal" etc.

It's kidology. They think we are stupid.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 01:51 PM

I do think he could do well if he does just concentrate on brexit, problems will happen if he has to make a proper manifesto as many of his other views on social issues are not something many of us could get behind.

I just hope he can keep the party clean this time, he isn't a racist or antiislamist but he attracts them.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 01:53 PM

That was my thinking too. If we had a general election and naturally vote for our Leave supporting MP, if a percentage of (disillusioned with all our politicians) voters switch allegiance to Nigel and his new Brexit party, it will decimate the votes for our MP and allow Labour to cruise in with a majority comfortably.

DAMN!
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 02:02 PM

He has my vote
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

18-01-2019, 02:29 PM

Well, he would have mine too as have nothing but loathing for the motley crew that we voted into office.

I await with interest to see whether we will extend Article 50 and British MEP's will take part in the EU elections.
If Nigel runs his newly formed Brexit party campaign as well as he did last time with Ukip before he left and it became infested by the far right, he should romp home with the support he would and should get from Leave supporters.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Mr. Farage insisted fighting Brexit was his “destiny” after the widespread criticism of Theresa May’s deal with Brussels.
Change of heart or Freudian slip?!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 04:22 PM

All those marginal seats ....

Farage would clean up
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 04:48 PM

Nigel Farage says he will start a political party if Brexit is delayed
https://mol.im/a/6607009

Nigel Farage said he could make a return to frontline politics if Brexit is delayed
He said Ukip is unsalvageable and he is working on creating a new political party
Tory and Labour MPs Nick Boles and Yvette Cooper want to extend Article 50
Nigel Farage has today revealed he will launch a new political party if Brexit is delayed.

Meanwhile

Poll finds over half of Brits want to STAY in the EU
https://mol.im/a/6607317

The survey for The Times of over 1,070 voters found on Wednesday 56 per cent would now back staying in the EU, while the same proportion back a second referendum.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)

18-01-2019, 04:49 PM

Meanwhile private frazer is quoted as saying ‘ we’re all doooooomed!’

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top