Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 05:26 PM

Re: The Malthouse Compromise

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
No backstop, but a hard border from day 1 or 2 or 3 or...
Well Solasch, if the EU are so "concerned" about the threat of a hard border when N.Ireland, S.Ireland and the UK have all publicly stated that they will never agree to a hard border, we should certainly call their bluff. We should just leave and let the EU be fully responsible for building a hard border and then man it with EU border guards, or even better, newly formed EU troops.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Sorry Bread, Ignorant on that one! can you please tell me more.

Here you are ... there is a pdf you can click on to read the document.

bear in mind, this is on the EU Parliament Web Site...

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/thinkt...TA(2018)604946
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 05:28 PM

I don't get it either Barry! Is it a case of who blinks first?
Are the EU so up their own backsides that they are sure that Theresa May will be so desperate to get a new deal she will be only too willing to give up some of her promised Red Lines?.
Even worse, is Theresa May, as a closet remainer, willing to sell us out?

I wish it was anyone other than her that was negotiating our future.
I must disagree, it seems to me sometimes that there is only the PM actually trying to get us out!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The irony of course if the EU won't compromise is that we leave with no deal, so there will be no backstop in any case! Have they really thought this through?
Hi

Varadkar can veto the whole deal, that is the problem.

He will not shift and neither will the DUP.

No hard border in Ireland means a hard border in the Irish Sea.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Varadkar can veto the whole deal, that is the problem.

He will not shift and neither will the DUP.

No hard border in Ireland means a hard border in the Irish Sea.
I don't think Varadkar can veto it by himself under QMV and I don't think there would be the support from the 27 to back him up.

My thought is that if this ever came about, the EU would make any trade arrangements by themselves like they did with Singapore under the "Singapore Agreement".

Isn't democracy wonderful ...
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

Thank you very much for the above. Very interesting and informative article Bread. Unbelievable though that this same information is on the EU Parliament Web Site. I would love to know what Barnier and Co have to say about it at this moment in time?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

04-02-2019, 05:36 PM

Very interesting and informative article Bread. Unbelievable though that this same information is on the EU Parliament Web Site. I would love to know what Barnier and Co have to say about it at this moment in time?

Barnier said so himself that "alternative arrangements would have to be made to avoid a hard border in Ireland in case of a no deal Brexit".

Seems he let the cat out of the bag with that one.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 05:45 PM

Well Solasch, if the EU are so "concerned" about the threat of a hard border when N.Ireland, S.Ireland and the UK have all publicly stated that they will never agree to a hard border, we should certainly call their bluff. We should just leave and let the EU be fully responsible for building a hard border and then man it with EU border guards, or even better, newly formed EU troops.
The EU is concerned because so far the english and irish have been incapable to live in a sustainable peace. Any border between the EU with a third party country is hard. That is in the rules of the EU. Again it is the UK that is demanding opt outs, just as with any other treaty or agreement. Talk about childish behaviour!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 05:48 PM

I don't think Varadkar can veto it by himself under QMV and I don't think there would be the support from the 27 to back him up.

My thought is that if this ever came about, the EU would make any trade arrangements by themselves like they did with Singapore under the "Singapore Agreement".

Isn't democracy wonderful ...
Hi

You are correct, the withdrawal agreement is QMV.

Any Trade Deal is not, my fault, should have made that clear.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 06:09 PM

In the pdf, at a glance document, there is a link to the complete study. If you care to follow it, in this document at page 39-40, you find the actual solution(s). These require lanes for lorries with goods to declare, persons who have to show identification and an identification system, etc. There will be mobile control and inspection checkpoints,

In effect, there need to be physical facilities for the check of goods and persons. The intention of smart border 2.0 is to hamper the crossing of the border as little as possible. Whether all this in compliance with the good friday agreement was not a subject of investigation.
Conclusion: smart border 2.0 is in opposition with the gfa. Just see for yourself!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top