Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 09:47 PM

Re: Nextdoor....Is It Ok And Genuine?

Oh you mean Nextdoor the knocking agency!

Try the next Close down.

Ohh Arr
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 10:32 PM

Personally I would steer clear of such things Art but each to their own.

A useful article here about bullies.

https://www.komando.com/tips/392828/...e-nextdoor/all

The most important aspect for me is this.

When you consider how thuggish and threatening some people can be on internet forums you might personally feel somewhat apprehensive if they knew who you were and where you lived being a member of the fairer sex.

When it's basically a mini Facebook site with only members from your local neighbour hood you have to ask how easy is it to identify who you are. even by process of elimination (i.e. they know all the other people and not you)

With things like BrExit bitterly dividing the nation and the angst and in some cases violence seen from Looney Labour Momentum thugs it might only take one wrong comment to find that you either totally isolate yourself from those around you or spark off some kind of actual vendetta where they damage your property etc.

Just not worth it imho.

Imagine making one wrong comment about say Islam and then finding you have some Muslims down the road that you were unaware of who read your comments and were offended.

Or imagine you offend some fundamentalist Christians or anyone else.

Nope, not for me. Better to remain incognito and free.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 10:33 PM

Remember the old saying "if it doesn"t feel right,It"s not right Arty.
x
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Remember the old saying "if it doesn"t feel right,It"s not right Arty.
x
Yes, you’re right, Apricot.

I read how many billions Nextdoor have made in such a short time. Not from subscriptions as it’s free but from the advertising revenue.

I read also, that they send letters out in your name without telling you. I don’t even think the man who lives near me sent that letter to me. I think it was sent in his name by the organisation to everyone in a close proximity.
The letter came via official Royal Mail and the 2nd class stamp is a ‘pretend’ one. It hasn’t been stuck on, it’s just a pic of a franked postage stamp!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Personally I would steer clear of such things Art but each to their own.

A useful article here about bullies.

https://www.komando.com/tips/392828/...e-nextdoor/all

The most important aspect for me is this.

When you consider how thuggish and threatening some people can be on internet forums you might personally feel somewhat apprehensive if they knew who you were and where you lived being a member of the fairer sex.

When it's basically a mini Facebook site with only members from your local neighbour hood you have to ask how easy is it to identify who you are. even by process of elimination (i.e. they know all the other people and not you)

With things like BrExit bitterly dividing the nation and the angst and in some cases violence seen from Looney Labour Momentum thugs it might only take one wrong comment to find that you either totally isolate yourself from those around you or spark off some kind of actual vendetta where they damage your property etc.

Just not worth it imho.

Imagine making one wrong comment about say Islam and then finding you have some Muslims down the road that you were unaware of who read your comments and were offended.

Or imagine you offend some fundamentalist Christians or anyone else.

Nope, not for me. Better to remain incognito and free.
Yes, Realist, l will steer clear of this site. It is scary that it shows your name and address and your information is not secure.
I think, l would also be bombarded by unsolicited emails.

Edit.. l have just read the link you included. Wow, that’s scary stuff.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 01:28 AM

They have had local sites in the US where people have ended up with lives ruined through online gossip and bullying by people in their local area.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 09:36 AM

I can understand him not door knocking .. as often people aren’t at home , it could take days even weeks to contact everyone .
Also to get a site up running and interesting it’s a good idea to get as many neighbours online in an limited time although I doubt you’re be refused if join beyond the 7 day limit.
Yes I’d give it a try .

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top