Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 05:59 AM

Pretty Good Video Player

Those of you busy creating definitions in your head, building bridges and space shuttles probably won't find this interesting but if you watch videos on your computer it might be of interest.

Personally I have been using VLC as my default video player since the year dot but someone suggested trying Media Player Classic because it was lighter on resources than VLC. Anyway I did and they were right it certainly loads quicker and takes up less disk space than VLC which has got a bit bloated over the years.

The only problem I had was making it my default video player as WIN 10 didn't recognise it but I also found the solution to this:

Open MPC-HC by right clicking and selecting "Open as Administrator". Goto View > Options. Open Player > Formats on the left side. Tick each format you want played. Click "Apply."
Once you have done this with a couple of options such as MP4, AVI etc then you will probably find it is available as an option when you go to WIN10's "Set Default programs"

Anyway I quite like it and have deleted VLC. MPC is open source, free and available in 32 and 64 bit versions..

That's it, you can go back to building bridges and real technology now (or should I say "real technolygy"?)
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 12:16 PM

Re: Pretty Good Video Player

[QUOTE=Bruce;1640845]Those of you busy creating definitions in your head, building bridges and space shuttles probably won't find this interesting but if you watch videos on your computer it might be of interest.

Personally I have been using VLC as my default video player since the year dot but someone suggested trying Media Player Classic because it was lighter on resources than VLC. Anyway I did and they were right it certainly loads quicker and takes up less disk space than VLC which has got a bit bloated over the years.

The only problem I had was making it my default video player as WIN 10 didn't recognise it but I also found the solution to this:

Hi Bruce,very interesting,but what does it all mean?and what is the net result of it all?l think if you could apply it to,maybe,removing and treating the sewage from major cities all over the world or something like that,then it would score higher on the scale of usefulness. Regards.DM.

Once you have done this with a couple of options such as MP4, AVI etc then you will probably find it is available as an option when you go to WIN10's "Set Default programs"

Anyway I quite like it and have deleted VLC. MPC is open source, free and available in 32 and 64 bit versions..

That's it, you can go back to building bridges and real technology now (or should I say "real technology"
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=Donkeyman;1640991]
Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Those of you busy creating definitions in your head, building bridges and space shuttles probably won't find this interesting but if you watch videos on your computer it might be of interest.

Hi Bruce,very interesting,but what does it all mean?and what is the net result of it all?l think if you could apply it to,maybe,removing and treating the sewage from major cities all over the world or something like that,then it would score higher on the scale of usefulness. Regards.DM.

That's it, you can go back to building bridges and real technology now (or should I say "real technology"
I already warned you that you wouldn't find it interesting but thank you for your almost incomprehensible reply and expressing your interest in Victorian technology..
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 02:29 AM

Give Pot Player a try, I prefer that to VLC now for watching any type of video but still use VLC for recording video streams or ripping MP3 audio from video.
peripheral
GB
peripheral is male  peripheral has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 09:00 AM

Advice needed. I have a DVD player with an HDMI output which I want to connect to an older TV which has a scart input. I presume I need an HDMI to scart connector and not a scart to an HDMI connector. Any advice about this and which make is more preferable would be greatly appreciated.
Peri.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 07:35 PM

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...BAgLEAc&adurl=

Start to hdmi adaptor, no need to pay too much,
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 08:22 PM

VLC is my defaulr player with MPC just in case but, more often than not nowadays, I use Videostream to cast videos to Chromecast on my TV - it has its control limitations but, mostly, video output quality is much improved .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top