Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 10:11 AM

Re: Caught at last

Originally Posted by galty ->
Never had a car with cruise control.

There is a three lane road called the A13 which I use a lot.

Which over a 5 mile+ stretch goes from 40 to 50 to 70 then down to 50 then up to 70.

So how does cruise control work with that?
There is a small lever on the steering wheel that you can use just like an accelerator to increase or reduce your speed and set the new speed. I rarely use the accelerator on the floor once over 40kph, you can keep your foot above the brake (operating the brake also disconnects the cruise control).

I hired an Astra when I was in the UK but the stupid car couldn't maintain the cruise control speed setting up any sort of hill (I noticed that was true of a lot of the cars around me they slowed down going up a hill then all sped up once over the brow of the hill).
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 12:40 PM

Well did the course cost me £90 but did get free coffee and biscuits and both instructors admitted they had also been done for speeding in the past

Couple of interesting points they told us about which I did not know.

When I asked why no road markings where I was nicked told the old ones take two pictures to determine your speed BUT was told they are the old type and last year they started to install new Digital cameras that gets rid of the need for road markings.

Interesting 4 hours.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...riving-UK-fine
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Well did the course cost me £90 but did get free coffee and biscuits and both instructors admitted they had also been done for speeding in the past

Couple of interesting points they told us about which I did not know.

When I asked why no road markings where I was nicked told the old ones take two pictures to determine your speed BUT was told they are the old type and last year they started to install new Digital cameras that gets rid of the need for road markings.

Interesting 4 hours.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...riving-UK-fine
Well I had to pay for my tea and biscuits when I did mine
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Well I had to pay for my tea and biscuits when I did mine
You'd think that the tight-fisted buggers might provide the tea and biscuits free, as we're paying £90 anyway.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 03:11 PM

Nice thing about Spain very few speed cameras

Not many police on the roads either everybody tears around all good fun
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
Nice thing about Spain very few speed cameras

Not many police on the roads either everybody tears around all good fun
Perhaps, despite this, Spanish motorists are more sensible and better drivers than some of our British boy racers.

I have seen some real idiots on our roads just lately: speeding, tailgating and dangerous overtaking, and for what?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Perhaps, despite this, Spanish motorists are more sensible and better drivers than some of our British boy racers.
My experiences there suggest otherwise.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 08:53 PM

Sorry to hear that Galty. It must be sickening for you.

He who must obey got pulled by the police in 2013 for going over 50 in his work van on a single carriageway. He was doing 55 and trying to get to the hospital 18 miles away, where I had just been rushed by blue flashing light ambulance, seriously ill and at death's door.
He tried to explain but they were having none of it. He received a £100 fine and 3 points on his licence. He had never broken the law on the road prior to this and had a clean licence for over 48 years.

I am sure drivers are just being used as cash cows because surely a verbal warning would have been sufficient in your case as well as HWMO's. It's very unfair as it is not only a fine and points, but insurance as well that rises once there is a blemish on your driving licence.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-02-2019, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Sorry to hear that Galty. It must be sickening for you.

He who must obey got pulled by the police in 2013 for going over 50 in his work van on a single carriageway. He was doing 55 and trying to get to the hospital 18 miles away, where I had just been rushed by blue flashing light ambulance, seriously ill and at death's door.
He tried to explain but they were having none of it. He received a £100 fine and 3 points on his licence. He had never broken the law on the road prior to this and had a clean licence for over 48 years.

I am sure drivers are just being used as cash cows because surely a verbal warning would have been sufficient in your case as well as HWMO's. It's very unfair as it is not only a fine and points, but insurance as well that rises once there is a blemish on your driving licence.
I completely agree.

In my mind, 55mph in a 50mph is not exactly speeding.

Real speeding is when it becomes dangerous. We've all seen boy racers going well over the posted speed limit, and that sort of thing is where death by dangerous driving is likely to ensue.

Yes, motorists are without doubt being used as cash cows, and that is being done by anyone who thinks they can do it. Local councils use cameras to monitor bus lanes, for example (Marge was caught in one - very briefly when turning right). That, too, is not exactly dangerous and, bearing in mind how few buses we see on the roads, is not even causing a delay for them.

I remember mentioning on here some time ago that Liverpool removed its bus lanes and found that it actually improved general traffic flow, including buses.

Motorists are undoubtedly seen as an easy target for raising money.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I completely agree.

In my mind, 55mph in a 50mph is not exactly speeding.

Real speeding is when it becomes dangerous. We've all seen boy racers going well over the posted speed limit, and that sort of thing is where death by dangerous driving is likely to ensue.

Yes, motorists are without doubt being used as cash cows, and that is being done by anyone who thinks they can do it. Local councils use cameras to monitor bus lanes, for example (Marge was caught in one - very briefly when turning right). That, too, is not exactly dangerous and, bearing in mind how few buses we see on the roads, is not even causing a delay for them.

I remember mentioning on here some time ago that Liverpool removed its bus lanes and found that it actually improved general traffic flow, including buses.

Motorists are undoubtedly seen as an easy target for raising money.
Don't start me on bus lanes.

One Boxing Day down City Rd Got nicked for going in a bus lane no buses about...rang up to complain and was told that the cameras do not recognize holidays.

Same a few years later on May the 1st in Barking.

Its a cash cow for the local councils

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top